Feedback Please: Video FAQ

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Randy Petersen, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    We have several plans for providing members with tips and information on how to use MilePoint. One plan is to collect all the various member tips into a consolidated thread and FAQ, another is to supplement this with a visual FAQ for our "How Do I" series. Here's a demo of the idea. understand it is not a final, just a test for the concept of adding videos for FAQ in addition to our thread-based and other user guides to MilePoint. Good idea?

2. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a great idea though it's a little difficult to understand the voice at times. Might want to script them first :).

3. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a great idea; like seeing the visual. I would still recommend perhaps a .pdf file or similar for more "complicated" how to's or a good overview booklet of the site. I see you are suggesting the videos as supplemental and I think that is a fine idea.

JALPak likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Great idea. I agree, the voice fades in and out, and the video is a bit jerky/jumpy, but the concept is sound.

cockpitvisit and JALPak like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely a good idea. It's always better to watch someone demonstrate a concept vs. reading about it and trying to interpret it.

6. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    The general idea is great, but one thing I don't like about this video is the resolution

You cannot read the text in the video, and so you will only understand what it is about when you are already familiar with the site. So I would suggest to zoom in/out in the video so that you can see what the signature is about, and also how individual options are called.

BondAir007 likes this.
  7. scoow
    Original Member

scoow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree - great idea. The visual "where to click" is often helpful in understanding where/how to change settings.

I also like the "MilePoint in about a Minute"... but the video is 1:27. Any longer and you'll have to say "about two minutes", so keep them short. And, if I wanted to watch a series of these videos to get up to speed quickly, that 10 sec intro everytime would drive me nuts. Is there any way to "link" videos so you see the intro the first time, then just get to the info.? I'm thinking something like some news sites where you have to watch an ad before the video clip, but then you can select and watch several clips before you have to watch another ad? (I actually like the intro - clean graphics, great sound, catchy title. Just don't want to watch it over and over so I can learn about features of the site.)

8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We can assume this is a rough preliminary mockup, since once they select the final Milepoint graphic format and font they it will need redo it.

So, keep those comments coming, we're helping shape the future videos.

9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    BTW, what's this guy?

[​IMG]

Mundivaganti likes this.
  10. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the intro should be shortened, and the voice needs to be clearer with better enunciation. Good idea though.

11. scoow
    Original Member

scoow Silver Member

Status Points:
    They're still working on the MP logo. I'm guessing a stand-in for MP Jr.

At least I'm hoping it's a stand-in. [​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    How about a cute little gargoyle icon?

JasonH likes this.
  13. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Takes a moment to load, but why not use it for all sorts of information. We could even do guides to airline/hotel web sites - do you use Camtasia?

14. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    If there are any more Gargoyle's appearing in threads we're going to have to call this Gargoyle MP.. or GMP. [​IMG]

15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Appropriate, since GiMP is a good app to create these haunting images.

16. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I could not get the audio on DH's laptop. However, I really like the video concept. This is how we train for our software and it is easy and effective.

17. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    As noted, it is for concept. This was without microphone, without scripting, etc. No sense investing that sort of time and other if the concept is not right. It loos so far like the concept is welcome and we'll now build from that. Appreciate the feedback. Also as a note, we intend to post this channel on both YouTube and Vimeo if the idea was acceptable.

18. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy, we discussed this at the NY meeting yesterday. A video is a great idea if we're to expand our horizons.
    At Boot Camp at the Andaz, I learned a couple of things about MP. I consider myself a seasoned member of travel boards. The video would be great to show off what MP has to offer and......

....be especially useful to new members that aren't familiar with other board, or are use to TripAdvisor, Chowhound, Lonely Planet etc.

MP has to market to the new posters that may not have any idea how to get around this board.
    The video in the link above is for 'experienced' users. MP needs a MP for Dummies type of video to introduce the site to new members.

I suggested that this video be sent to new members after they enroll. A welcome to MP is a good way to encourage new members to use the site, and use it with smarts. You can explain how the site talks about miles, points and etc. :)

dh

Gargoyle likes this.
  19. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of doing video guides for those who are "visual learners". Just don't do these at the expense of well-written text guides. Some of us are "text learners" and it would be much harder for us to acquire information in this format than in a well-written guide.

Also, if you're going to do this, make sure you have someone listen to the audio without the video. One of the biggest pitfalls of audio/video guides is that the audio portion is insufficiently explanatory and those who acquire information best from audio are actually left more confused by watching the guide.

Mundivaganti, Junca and Gargoyle like this.
  20. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great ideas--both providing lots of options and offering a visual presentation of those options.

Something for everyone! :)

21. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a great idea. As a further progression towards the whole 2.0 thing, why not have some of the videos voiced by different MP members. Adds a personal touch, generates involvement. Ok, its a bit more work as you would need to have the scripts sent to the members and have a way for them to record the audio, but you wouldnt need to do it for every video you produced.

Or for those members who were very knowledgeable - I'm sure they would have access to tools to put the audio track together anyway.

22. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    definitely a great idea!

travelingmore likes this.
  23. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    we have our very own voice over expert on MP.....won't say who she is unless she wants to be revealed, but she's one heck of a great voiceover gal.

24. sterno24
    Original Member

sterno24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like it alot. Had a question on a different software application this morning.
    Used the video that was posted for the product...and followed along very easily.

Believe the video concept to be more effective and assume the production effort (as compared to screen shots / written instructions) will be less intense.

25. Mundivaganti
    Original Member

Mundivaganti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a fan of how-to videos and usually turn to them after I try to use my psychic powers to suss the instructions. I find them useful for viewing AFTER I use a product or service, too, as the video typically demonstrates a way of doing something that is slicker than the way I have figured out on my own. I agree with posters who point out videos are great for helping newbies and visual learners. I don't thing having videos is ever a bad choice (I'm now going to go and think about that last point.)