Feedback on UA Menus

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by genemk2, Mar 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just heard from the Managing Director of Global Catering that UA is redesigning the menus, and that now is the time to provide feedback on the current menus.

In that vein, please post your feedback on the menus. But please be pragmatic; recognize that there are significant costs at play here, so lobster is never going to be a realistic option. But, for example, one piece of feedback that was received and is being implemented, is the removal of the turkey "hockey puck" sausage on breakfast meals. Also recently implemented is the catering of greek-style yogurt, which has less sugar and more protein than traditional american-style yogurt.

2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the meal I had on a recent GUM-NRT flight was actually pretty good. The portion of beef was lacking but the salad was delicious (hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, etc.)
    [​IMG]

Most of the evening meals I've received in domestic F have been chicken with rice where the chicken was dried out completely, or pasta.

Here's a recent lunch flight. Chicken wrap and mushroom leek soup. While tasty, the soup looked like sludge.

image-955328083.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  3. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Hartmann the catering out of GUM is pretty solid.

Sent from a reasonably priced car.

genemk2 likes this.
  4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would really love to see improvement on breakfast meals. The standard meal is tired, have some other option if possible, french toast or something maybe? The omelet and the sausage is not very good in my opinion, I generally opt for the cereal, but would like to have some other option available if possible.

genemk2 likes this.
  5. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like it when one of the three options in first or business is meatless. I find this option to usually be quite tasty, be it fish or pasta. The sea bass on the NRT-HNL flight was particularly good.

While evaluating their menus, they should do something about the huge disconnect between their wine on the menu and what is actually available. (There is another thread on this topic here.)

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are they going to read this thread? Or how do we give them feedback?

My top concern is make it healthy. The worst things in our diets are extra sugars (empty carbs), trans fats, and the general category of "processed foods" - too many chemicals.

I'd like more healthy choices - which means plenty of vegetables, nuts, beans, seeds, fiber, and minimal processed foods. It can be made tasty with spices and most of the healthy stuff doesn't have to cost a lot. It does mean a lot less sugar and baked goods.

HiIslands likes this.
  7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    PS: remember the Moosewood cookbook? A lot of that stuff, even if unusual, can taste good if well spiced.

8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bring back the CO mushroom soup!

9. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to summarize the information in this thread and on FT, email them, and then also direct them to the link.

IDGflygirl, HiIslands and ssullivan like this.
  10. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree on many points there, but you do realize we're talking about airplane food, right? The constraints of cost, food that has to be prepared in advance, stored, and then reheated on board, appealing to a large variety of tastes and dietary needs, and producing meals at many different catering facilities and with different vendors all conspire against your suggestion. I'm certainly not saying it's impossible, and healthy options have been served on board. But some of this is rather difficult given the realities of providing meals for airline service. And, at the end of the day, nobody makes anyone eat the food on board. There are always the options of not eating what UA serves, and either bringing your own food, or eating before/after the flight, all of which give you far more choice, and better quality too.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    genemk2 and blackjack-21 like this.
  11. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the lobster bisque! Of course, that's been gone for many years now, but it was served during the past decade.

12. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The lobster bisque may now be out of their price range, with all the recent cost cutting efforts. On the other hand, the mushroom soup........mmmm!

13. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. That's why it hasn't really been seen in domestic F since around 2008. But I'm still going to throw that one out there because it was so tasty.

And the old mushroom soup was quite good too.

Flyer1976 and blackjack-21 like this.
  14. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I suspect that a large majority of the premium-cabin flying population (and let's assume it's those that pay for F or have high-fare economy seats) have more traditional tastes. That's probably the main reason why a lot of airplane food is high calorie, high fat, high carbohydrate. It's also cheaper than having lean protein and vegetables.

15. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, there is a decent amount of lean protein out there. UA uses chicken breast in a lot of meals – so many that it's easy to get sick of the stuff. The chicken and rice with green beans meal that gets served quite often these days really isn't unhealthy; serving sizes certainly aren't out of control there, and it's basically a grilled chicken breast with some rice and green beans. It's not all that exciting and bland as can be, but it's certainly not high in fat, carbs, or calories, and probably doesn't have much artificial going on with it either. I'm certainly not suggesting UA keep that particular meal; it has all the appeal of hospital or bad school cafeteria food, but it's hard to argue it's not healthy.

16. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Switch out the ice milk sundaes for better desserts like the flan presently served on LatAm runs.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  17. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ice milk? Ice cream, my friend. ;)

18. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just assumed they will become ice milk sundaes as part of the $2B in cuts, so I am recommending a shift away from them to more refined desserts.

rggale, bmg42000 and ssullivan like this.
  19. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one I was served a few weeks ago on IAD-EWR was still ice cream.

Many of us do like the sundaes, but I like other desserts as well. I'll admit it; I do like sweets. I try not to indulge too much, and I skip the cinnamon rolls or cookies on many flights, but I'm a sucker for ice cream with toppings.

At this point, the ice cream sundaes are only served on transcon flights and long-haul international service. They've been gone from the likes of IAH-PDX/SEA/YVR for many years now.

20. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Meals that lean towards beans, nuts, seeds vegetables can work pretty darn well with reheating on planes, and low costs. They may not look like what we're used to eating, but they can have decent flavor, texture, health and cost.
    Granted they may not initially appeal to standard American tastes. But they aren't necessarily higher cost.
    They need to get more creative with adding spices - they are healthy and can make otherwise bland meals more tasty. Think about what you experience in much of Asia. It's not ingredient cost, it's about spice.

ssullivan likes this.
  21. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, if cost were no object, I'd start with a nice caviar or sushi appetizer. And then some nice fresh veggies and a piece of lean protein.

But given the cost constraints, can't we come up with something more flavorful and still healthy than the boring bland crap we get these days?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  22. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't disagree at all on this. I love to cook and have no fear of spices. I've got a cabinet full of great stuff I've procured on travels around the world, in addition to stuff from the local supermarket. But, there are also issues there with making food that has mass appeal, and that presents a problem with some spices.

I'm also pretty certain that UA isn't looking to be the diet police here and change how people eat.

23. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're talking about the forward cabin here, people who travel a lot and are more adventurous than middle America. So it's not quite mass appeal. I also think we're seeing more diet consciousness, and growing realization we can't keep putting on weight. So make a decent tasting healthy meal one of the choices. Heck, make it the vegetarian alternative instead of always pasta. I don't want my choice to always be short rib of beef or pasta.

ETA - so keep the middle America choice, and make the vegetarian healthier and spicier - don't make it for bland diets

HiIslands and ssullivan like this.
  24. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed on the pasta. And I like a good pasta dish on occasion, but the pasta on UA is not good. I certainly would order a good, non-pasta vegetarian dish if it had flavor. I'm far from phobic of that kind of food; I've had close vegetarian and vegan friends that I've eaten out with or have cooked dinner for/with many times, and am not averse to such cooking, provided it's done well. I'm also very adventurous in what I'll eat, but airline food generally tends to play it toward the safe side. And, I'd be shocked if UA suddenly started being a trendmaker here. They've certainly not shown that tendency with anything else in the past decade.

25. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They definitely need to revamp their F breakfast, domestically and internationally. Has it ever changed?

And they really need to increase the rotation of their F domestic meals beyond breakfast too. Twice in the last 5 days I told the FA I was tired of their choices (cheeseburger or salad w/grilled chicken) and asked them to comp me a snack box from the back instead.

They didn't blink last time, but on a flight today, they had to ask other FA's to see if that was "allowed" due to changing UA policies on the matter. If F passengers are opting for snackboxes over their F meals, that should be a hint a change is needed.

ssullivan likes this.