Fee to pick a windows or aisle seat coming?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by JALPak, May 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Airlines-Increase-Fees-for-Seats-152792945.html

So they are targeting frequent fliers? It's hard to believe they want elite to pay for those seats while allowing them to select exit row seats for free :confused:

PS: Oops typo in title...window not windows

Espan and Blue Skye like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA already has a program like this that labels windows and aisle toward the front of the plane as "preferred" and elites are exempt from the fee required to reserve them. Seems like the report didn't do much research on this topic. :cool:

Espan, aptraveler and rwoman like this.
  3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless it's something they haven't announced yet and is considering that option...

Espan likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I suppose but it doesn't really make sense to add a fee for elites to pick aisle and window seats. Still seems like a reporter who hasn't researched their topic very well to me.

Espan, hulagrrl210 and wrxmom like this.
  5. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fear based revenue stream... oh no, not the middle seat...:eek: should work for them with non-elites, but not a goodwill builder

6. progapanda

progapanda Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I read this the way the OP seems to do.

By "targeting" frequent flyers (aka elites), the article claims the airlines *may* start charging non-frequent flyers for window and aisle seats so that more of these are made available for frequent flyers, who they want to keep/make more comfortable.

This is news?

7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once again, our crackerjack journalists reveal how much they know about the subjects they write about. Next to nothing. No one can predict the future, but what this gob of spit was trying to say is that AA reserves many of the aisle and window seats for its elites, leaving the middles for the non-elites. Of course, that may appear "just awful" to a family that wants to sit together. News flash for that family - nobody wants to sit next to your little darling, so it will be easy to swap seats with them. Much ado about nothing.