Fee to Modify Award Travel Dates?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Explore, Sep 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want to confirm (or not) that Delta charges general members a fee for any sort of award redemption change, including change of flight number or date while retaining the same route, connections, and airline(s).

Thanks.....

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, yes, $150 for award ticket changes/redeposits of miles.

3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same with AA unless you have status....kind of sucks...you book a free flight and end up getting screwed by their change fees...

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The exception would be if you have your flights change after a schedule change such as one that makes a formerly valid connection illegal or if one of the flights on your award itinerary is cancelled.

5. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to AA's website, no fee if you just change a flight number or date, or drop a segment. UA's program similar.

DL appears to be less flexible.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, although some people avoid the fee by waiting for a schedule change happens, then asking to be switched to the flights they want, typically even without availability of the right award inventory.

Also with DL, don't forget that any cancellations or changes within 72 hours of the flight now mean that you lose all the miles that your ticket cost.

7. skipmco

skipmco Active Member

Status Points:
    On Delta I have never paid a change fee when using Skymiles to rebook, change or cancel. The miles are redeposited for free. This is at Platinum level. So I would assume Diamond is that way too. I am not sure about Silve and Gold though. I just cancelled a trip last night and they put the miles back and refunded my 10.00 booking fee.

8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The $150 change fee waiver for DM/PM is only outside of the new 72 hour rule. I do not know of any discount to the fee for GM or FO.

9. skipmco

skipmco Active Member

Status Points:
    Ah good to know. It was a flight for next month so that must be why.
    -Scott

10. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I like about AA is for date changes they don't charge anything, if everything else stays the same.

What I don't like about AA is they only allow such change up to within 1 year of the ticket issue date. Say, if we book a ticket today (9/15/2011) for a flight on 8/1/2012, then want to change it to 10/1/2012, it can't be done. You have to cancel, redeposit and book again. For non-elites, that's $150. Not sure how it works for elites.

With Delta as Plat, I can make free changes up to 72 hours before. But I'm not sure if they have this 1 year rule.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most airlines have a rule that tickets are only good for one year, so DL would have a similar policy, although you would just cancel the old ticket, redeposit the miles, and then get a new ticket. No problem.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the ten dollar booking fee you paid as a Plat? I never heard of such a thing, either as a Plat after the merger or later as a charter diamond. Did you use an airport or city ticket office? There should not be a phone service fee for Plat or Diamond.

13. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd bet it's the 9/11 security fee at $2.50/segment up to $10. Most of my domestic award tickets have cost $10 because of this.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then it's a tax on the ticket and not a booking fee. Of course it is refunded when the ticket is cancelled.