Fee-Free MR Card?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Ed Chandler, Dec 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, all,

I'm just getting into the MR game. Like the other "bank" programs, I'd like to have a fall-back zero-fee MR-earning card in my drawer that will keep me from losing my accumulated MR when/if I close the other MR-earning cards I have. (Always keep one, right?)

Anyway, what's the current thinking on the "best" fee-free MR card to keep and why?
    (I figure that ought to spur some discussion that will be of use to more than just me.)

Thanks in advance.

jwsky likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I Myself have asked this question (not sure if It was here or not) but if I recall the answer was that Amex BLUE was the best. Even though the points from Amex Blue were not transferable ... once you got an Amex Gold/PLT you could combine the points together & then transfer them.

From the way I remember it, Amex Blue = Ink/freedom; Amex Gold/Plt = CSP/IB

LETTERBOY and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Blue card participates in the MR Express program which significantly reduces transfer options. Historically adding a proper MR or MR First card back to the portfolio has converted all the pending points to that program, instantly increasing their value. No guarantees that it will always stay that way but for now that's the way the system works.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Blue or Blue Sky? I think they're both MR Express points. I've got Blue Sky already and used those points, so I'm not sure how much more value it has other than being 1 of 2 AmEX NAF cards I'll hold forever.

5. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not think you can transfer Blue Sky points to Membership Rewards. If there is a way, please tell me how!

6. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good responses, all. Obviously, I want to make sure I understand this (though I have plenty of time at this point).

This MileValue blog post begins to answer my question, but it leaves part of it unanswered: http://milevalue.com/what-to-do-wit...-fee-coming-up-and-unused-membership-rewards/

So let's assume that I've got the AMEX Platinum card (the personal one) and have earned a stack of MR points. My options are:
    1. Keep the card, pay the fee, and keep the points.
    2. Cancel the card, avoid the fee, but lose the points.
    3. Downgrade the card to some other card, avoid part or all of the fee, but the points become less valuable.
    Okay, cool... got it. My question picks up at that point. Assuming I go with option 3, are those points "stuck" in the less valuable state, or are they convertible back to their more valuable selves when/if I later acquire a card that earns them? To put it another way, are MR points similar to Chase UR points in that the points are all the same big bucket of points but how your redeem them depends on the cards you hold at redemption time, or are the points themselves different?
    This page lays out the cards that earn MR points, and at what "tier": http://www.membershiprewards.com/tier/tierComparison/tierComparison.aspx So the transfer-ability of points is a "premium" feature. But when you log in to the MR site, there's only one number of "available points." If the points were permanently downgraded, then they'd need to have some way of keeping track of the two buckets. That's not what I see, so I infer that the points are all the same and your redemption options are determined by your card membership at redemption time.
    What would settle this is if someone could say, "Yeah, I had the Plat, downgraded to the Blue, then got the Plat again a couple of years later and my points were all there in one bucket." Wandering Aramean almost said that, but he specified that pending points regained their value ... not that the entire balance did.
    Anyone have first-hand experience here?

jwsky, travelpye and edekba like this.
  7. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had steps two and three. I Di have the corporate one but don't remember if I ever had points. I had the blue(non-sky) for a decade before getting into this game. I wasted (Spent)25k on a gift card for my wife. She agrees it was a waste.

When I received my Amex PRG, all the points that I had earned (pending is point that you are slate to earn but haven't paid for) converted to the regular MR points. I called the reps an they said that if I got back to the blue only I will still have the same number of points but only access MR express. Think worse than freedom/UR items including gift cards.

Ed Chandler likes this.
  8. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Awesome. Thanks.

9. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's my understanding that you can use Blue Sky MRE points as your "savings account" for full MR points. Say I have 1 MR earning card and I downgrade to Blue Sky to avoid the annual fee on the MR card. All of your points convert to MRE (express) points, right? Okay, then 6 months down the road (hypothetical time frame), you get a new card offer that earns MR points and are approved. You keep the Blue Sky, and all of your MRE points then are able to be converted back to MR points.

If someone could confirm this in practice, I'd appreciate it, but I haven't gotten a MR card recently and am stuck with MRE points on Blue Sky for now. I'm not 100% sure that this works, but it makes sense theoretically, at least to me.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Historically it has been possible to have the points shift between MRF, MR and MRE freely depending on which card(s) you are carrying. So dropping down to only a card which participates in MRE would mean all your points become MRE and then adding a card which participates in MR or MRF would "upgrade" those points back up to that level. Obviously subject to change as AmEx sees fit, but that is the way the system has worked for the past several years.

LETTERBOY and merice107 like this.
  11. mmamminna

mmamminna Active Member

Status Points:
    I have a blue and blue for students amex. I looked for the transfering options and could not locate them. Are they eligible? TIA

12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.

13. mmamminna

mmamminna Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. If I get new amex cards, can I merge all points and then transfer? TIA

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to.

You can have multiple different AmEx cards all linked to the same MR account, whether that be MRE, MR or MRF. And historically all the points become part of the best program you are carrying a card for at that moment in time. It can work in your favor.

mmamminna and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. mmamminna

mmamminna Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. Appreciated. :)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  16. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have Blue points and then you get a Green, Gold, or Platinum, you can turn your Blue points into Green, Gold, or Platinum points thus transferring to airlines/hotels. So there is no confusion, it HAS to be a Blue and NOT: 1. Blue Sky 2. Blue Sky Preferred 3. Blue Cash Everyday 4. Blue Cash Preferred 5. jetBlue (lol) 6. Last I heard, Blue for students won't work. Also, you have to either upgrade to a Green, Gold, or Platinum to do this OR apply and get approved for a Green, Gold, or Platinum THEN cancel your Blue. If you cancel your Blue, then obtain a Green, Gold, or Platinum, ALL your points will be gone forever. Anyway, since this is a semi-old thread, did everything turn out okay?

17. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems to me that choice 2 should read ....transfer points to a miles program, cancel the card, avoid the fee. Am I missing something here?

18. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    No you're not. Thats what is SHOULD read.

Cali94102 likes this.
  19. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    @Jwsky: Yes, "choice 2" was written as I meant it. To your point, though, you have brought up a 4th option. You could transfer the points out first, thus leaving no points behind to "lose" if you close your last MR-earning card.

jwsky and SuperKirby like this.