FedEx Hub during Christmas rush -- ABC video

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Jenny & Curt, Dec 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great video! Thanks for sharing.

3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting --- I really wonder, though whether that was the 'real' box that was displayed in MEM.

Also, it's clear the pie company is a regular shipper.

What's been neat is to be at MEM and watch the Fed Ex DC10's come in, but sadly as Delta dehubs it, that opportunity will go away.

DTWBOB

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, one can tour the FedEx facility in Memphis 5 nights/week. No photos inside (obviously ABC got an exception) but I hear it is a great experience. I need to schedule a trip to make it happen.

5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I toured the Memphis sort facility some years ago, and it was quite a treat. If you're into infrastructure, you'll love it.

The ABC video glosses over one of my favorite pieces of their technology. In the video, after you see the packages being hand-placed on the belt, they go through area of bright red light. That's an overhead barcode scanner. As the package progresses down the conveyor belt, it passes a number of chutes, opposite of which are pushers somewhat like pinball flippers (one of those is seen earlier in the video, too). Depending on the destination, the proper flipper will push the package onto a chute, sending it to the next stage in the sort.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome, thanks for sharing.