Fed up with Air Canada

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by UA191, Nov 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anybody else have any terrible AC experiences? Vent here... Here are my most recent:
    • Two months ago, the quoted wait time on the AC general line was 12.5 hours.
    • They are closing their Winnipeg call centre anyways
    • They won't let you choose seats online if you book your trip anywhere other than AC.com
    • When you call in to choose your seats, you wait for 30 minutes and are told by the agent that "in order for you to get any *A Gold benefits, or to select seats, you must not be on a UA codeshare."
    • The second time you call, you explain the situation & ask for a supervisor, they say that they'll have one "call you back later." When you offer to wait on hold, they say "have a nice day" and hang up
    • When your cousin's dogs are in an accident and one of them dies, the other is severely injured, they take her $600 ticket because she cannot leave her dog's side and offers a $300 voucher as a "one time exception"
    This is why I own WestJet stock. I just wish WS would get a real FF program & join OW so that they could be my main people.

2. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for your cousin's loss and hope the surviving pooch is recovering.

I purchase all my AC tickets through my corporate travel agent and can always choose seats on line. I've been able to do so on UA flights as well (though I'm usually on a UA ticket not an AC code share ticket).

3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was the accident caused by AC? It sounds like she didn't want to board the plane, and AC credited her $300 for the flight. If that's the case, AC actually did more than the fare rules require. It's a sad story, but realistically airlines can't ignore the rules every time someone has a personal issue precluding the use of a ticket.
    Same here. Online agents like Expedia allow you to do it, too, and a human travel agent can do it as well.

milchap, YULtide and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't AC's fault. We cancelled her flights before they departed, but she could not travel before it expired, and the credit is non-transferable. Also - seat selection doesn't work if you book on united.com.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is really a united.com issue. If travel agencies can assign seats, there surely isn't a technical problem with AC preventing it.

However, any airline would always rather sell its own inventory than that of a partner airline. If no seat assignment is available, it may discourage at least some travellers from choosing a partner airline. So that capability could have been intentionally deprioritized ...

LETTERBOY and YULtide like this.
  6. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is no different when booking United flights on AC.com, I always have to phone United and book seats or I ask for my UA booking ref and then you can go to Uniteds website and do it yourself.

tomh009 and LETTERBOY like this.