Fear of Flying?

Discussion in 'Off Topic/Social' started by anabolism, Mar 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have a friend, acquaintance, or coworker with an actual fear of flying? It's a fairly common theme in popular culture, but I personally don't know anyone with the condition, so I'm curious. If you do, what does the person think of your flying so much?

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know someone who will not set foot on an airplane. She lives in NM, went to art school in Italy, and took a cruise to and from there. This was about 15-20 years ago.

ThereseKhu and anabolism like this.
  3. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know how she is today?

anabolism and ThereseKhu like this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I know someone, a highly educated professional. Funny thing is, he wouldn't be afraid to go in a glider or small plane or go skydiving if he could be at the controls, but he's terrified of flying as a passenger. It's a control thing, he couldn't handle the sense of having no control if he's in a middle seat in Y.

I've suggested he fly F, he's never tried it; he hasn't been in a plane in years.

SuperKirby likes this.
  5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    That reminds me: when I was a kid, my mom had two friends who were pilots. One was a commercial airline pilot who wouldn't ever go in a private plane since they didn't have the redundancy, safety checks, etc. that commercial aircraft and airlines had. The other friend flew his own Cessna (he took me in it a few times) and refused to fly commercial, he insisted it was unsafe. Perhaps it was the same control issue as your friend.

SuperKirby and Gargoyle like this.
  6. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's an awesome story!

anabolism likes this.
  7. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    My mom has a fear of many things, one being flying. She was in a plane (not a jet) once in 1949 for an emergency trip to Boston to see her sick moth-in-law. And she hated it. She also has never been in a plane since. Or even in an airport. Our first trip to Europe was years ago (1971) and we went and returned by ship (Italian line and French line) which was an awesome experience. Ten years later when my brother was a med student in Italy she and dad were scheduled to fly over for a visit. Until at the last minute she got 'sick'. It was a real illness but IMHO caused by the psychological stress and fear of flying. Now we drive her everywhere including back and forth to Florida (1400+ miles EW). She HATES when I fly (which is a lot) tells me to go in daylight because they can see better and basically tells me to stay in one place which would make me crazy in no time. My favorite saying from her was after a trip from CA to Germany that was only long enough for dinner and breakfast in the morning (canceled Business meeting) when she said "you go to Europe like I go to the grocery store". Yup!
    Ps: OTOH she is 93 and could pass for 75!

TravelBear, Gargoyle and anabolism like this.
  8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd completely forgotten about them until I read Gargoyle's post, which brought it all back to me.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was in F coming back from Europe a few years ago, seated next to a contract test pilot. His company did work for governments and manufacturers, particularly helicopters. He had crashed many times, recently a few times into the Mediterranean. (they set up to allow for that, with rescue systems in place; it's part of the job, since they test the limits of the equipment). He loved his job, but absolutely hated flying commercial, it made him extremely nervous.

anabolism, Betty Boop and TravelBear like this.
  10. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to not like flying but the tradeoff of being somewhere completely different in a relatively short period of time just fascinates me. I still am...uncomfortable, with takeoff. Turbulence used to scare me but I am more relaxed about it now.

Gargoyle and anabolism like this.