FCO UA Club Lounge?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by picknhand, Apr 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. picknhand

picknhand New Member

Status Points:
    Hello. My wife and I are flying into FCO via a direct flight from IAD (Washington Dulles). Once we arrive (8:30am), we are going to make our way to Florence via train. My thought was to first take a shower and change at a club lounge prior to catching the express train to the Termini. From what I found online, it appears the trip via train from the Termini to Florence is about 1hr 20mins. My question, is there a United club lounge (or Star Alliance) at the FCO airport?

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a Lufthansa Senator Lounge in FCO however you won't be able to access it on arrival. If you are flying in BusinessFirst there might be a day room provided by UA in FCO for showers.

3. OzMan

OzMan Active Member

Status Points:
    I've taken the FCO to IAD (and EWR) UA flight several times and used the Alitalia lounge in the terminal that they depart from (you are bussed to this terminal after going though check-in, security etc. in Terminal 5). The UA flights from IAD (and EWR) arrive at this same terminal but you take a brief train to Terminal 3 where you do immigration, baggage claim etc. and I doubt that it would be feasible to use that Alitalia lounge at that point even if a shower were available there (which I also doubt). The only *A lounge that I know of in Terminal 3 is the Sala Mosaici which is a contract lounge used by outbound Lufthansa, Swiss etc. passengers. I don't believe that a shower would be possible there either (it is airside and I don't believe that there is a shower) nor do I know of any other lounge at FCO where you could take a shower (save perhaps for a possible Alitalia F lounge in Terminal 1). The train from FCO to Termini (the Leonardo Express) takes about 30 mins so between that and the train from Termini to Florence you ought to be at your hotel around noon and I suspect that that may be your best bet for a shower.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely no on a *A lounge for showers. As DIG/R_1K said, BF customers should have access to a day room (at the Hilton, I believe) but otherwise there is nothing. Arrivals lounge access is generally not a feature of Star Alliance programs.

5. picknhand

picknhand New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much for the input. We will plan to get to the hotel and shower there. This is our first time to Italy, so I am hoping the train station goes smoothly and we are on our way without too much confusion or our pockets picked. Not sure what to believe from the various online forums. Thanks and safe travels...

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish UA would make it clear at which airports arrivals service is available after BF flights. I can't find it on the website, and I have found that at some airports, if you ask the agent meeting the flight, they can give you the information on which hotel to use. And at other airports they tell you it is not offered there. E.g. LAX morning arrival from NRT. Which I found surprising since there is no shortage of hotels at LAX.

7. OzMan

OzMan Active Member

Status Points:
    Just take the the same precautions that you would in any big city and you will be ok. As you would anywhere else, just say "no" to anyone who tries to engage you in conversation on the street.

The train from the airport to Termini is a short walk from the terminal proper (more than can be said for most US airports). Just follow the signs. Buy a ticket from a ticket machine rather than waiting in line. Be sure to get your ticket stamped in one of the yellow machines that you will see near the platform as there is a fine for travelling without an unstamped ticket. This is not needed for the train to Florence as it will have a conductor. Enjoy Italy.

8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last time in Rome, while on public transport I felt something in my pocket, and quickly slapped my hand down and it caught the hand of a gypsy boy who looked like he was about 8 years old. He quickly ran to his mom who was standing nearby supervising. Perhaps I served as a training run.

Be careful with your wallet and valuables in Rome if you are in any crowded areas.

genemk2 likes this.
  9. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was it a back pocket? I heard front pockets are safer, e.g. on jeans.

10. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was a front pocket. That's why I was able to slap his hand down - and probably why I didn't lose my wallet.

Flyer1976 and genemk2 like this.
  11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question how would someone know they have access, and/or know how to use this access?

12. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Talk to the red coat at the gate before your flight. They may or may not tell you to talk to the red coat that meets the flight at your destination. One or both should be able to make the arrangements.

iolaire likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    By asking here. UA does a VERY good job of not publicizing the benefit at all. :rolleyes:

As for using the access, speak to the GS rep in the lounge if you're at EWR or IAH. Or speak to the agent meeting the flight and ask them. One one occasion I had to go to the ticket counter and find the one UA employee (non-SwissPort contractor) working the counter who also knew about the benefit. But they're pretty bad about it lately.

iolaire and Seacarl like this.
  14. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quoted for truth
    It is kind of strange. They definitely make it hard to get the information, and I even when I've asked at the departure airport, the information I get is to ask on arrival - which as WA says means you need to find the UA employee as well as let other pax get a headstart towards immigration. And sometimes you get the message "go to this hotel" and other times "not offered here." I'd thought it was a standard benefit for overnight intercontinental C/F-class flights arriving before noon, but that does not appear to be the case.

15. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies, is that unique to UA or is it common?

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LH offers an arrivals lounge for their Biz and First pax in FRA. I think LX does, too, in ZRH. BA ans VS do in LHR. AF does in CDG. AFAIK neither DL, AA nor US offer it as a benefit.

Some of the US-based carriers have arrivals service at one or two airports but I believe the UA arrivals offering is unique.

iolaire likes this.
  17. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH offers it in both FRA and MUC, I believe, until approx 12 noon. UA C and F pax have access to it.
    I believe that both pmCO and pmUA had the offering. pmUA used to print certificates for arrivals service along with the boarding pass, and for a while it was only offered for pax with paid C/F tickets, not with upgrades.

They ought to market the benefit, but then if they did that, it might increase usage and costs, and they'd have to offer it consistently. But it's kind of weird to keep the hotel-based benefit without making it easy for pax to find out about it.

iolaire likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    IIRC this was only for a very few specific locations where UA had their own arrival facilities, not taking advantage of day rooms at local hotels.

CO's approach was quite broad.

19. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I definitely had a day room at the SFO Westin a couple of times paid for by pmUA when returning from Asia in paid C class. This was in the 1990's before the new international terminal was built. Also had it in Europe in locations that did not have a lounge with showers. It was a fairly broad pmUA service, with certificates, but only for paid C, not for upgrades.

I believe the new policy is that anyone seated in C, regardless of how you got there, gets the arrivals service, if it is offered.