FCO / ORD diverted

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Dublin_rfk, Jun 21, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA 971 FCO to ORD on Saturday 06/210/2015 diverted to BFS. Unruly passenger causes flight to be diverted. Passengers left on the concourse floor, not enough hotel rooms (I expect in one place).

Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm kind of surprised to be honest that there wasn't enough hotel rooms in Belfast. Granted the airport isn't near the city center (15-20 min drive) but there's plenty of hotel space in the city CBD. At any rate this really sucked for the other passengers, I would have most likely arranged for my own transportation and grabbed a hotel room then sticked it to United afterwards if I was in this situation. :(

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts exactly on both counts. The down side of departing the airport would be personal knowledge (or lack of) of the area and the fear of ops changing after leaving.

5. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any transport-related obligations are strictly with the airline (as the recipient of the ticket payment).

Newscience likes this.
  7. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tourist wanting to see Game of Thrones filming location has been a boom on Belfast. Since they are about to start filming the advance people are taking additional rooms.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  8. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience shows that most customers 1) claim they don't have the money to pay for their hotel stay up front 2) they don't believe that UA will pay for their room later 3) often don't want to use the website to provide feedback/request for hotel funds.

Flyer1976, IDGflygirl and Dublin_rfk like this.
  9. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but usually there are one or two on board that like their comfort / really don't like floors. I have found that a cheap hotel is better and an expensive floor! Just as possible they were warned not to leave that the departure plans were vague.

mht_flyer likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Few hotels anywhere would have enough rooms available on short notice to handle an entire 777 at one property. Moreover, Ireland and Northern Ireland are not the land of megahotels; the tradition is for smaller properties, so even if booked well in advance, the area just might not have many (or any) hotels of this magnitude.

11. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was flying out of BFS on UA 76 the day the great beast descended into the airport.

I took some photos. The first is of the 777 (N799UA) from the terminal. I took a photo of the B752 for UA 76. I snapped a few more photos as we taxied out.

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg