FCC mulls 1,400 negative comments about calls on planes

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, May 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/19/fcc-negative-comments-calls-on-planes/9293659/

With the roar of 1,400 people ringing in its ears, the Federal Communications Commission can now decide whether to allow cellular service on planes.

The deadline was Friday for comments about lifting a 1991 ban on airborne cellular service. Opposition was nearly unanimous, with messages ranging from hand-scrawled diatribes to multipage rants.

"This is the worst idea ever," wrote John Simpson of San Francisco. "It is already bad enough with people talking on their phones everywhere but most of the time one can move away from the idiot; on a plane you are stuck."

Frank Wake of Anchorage told the commission, "This is a very bad idea." If the ban is lifted, Wake said, it will become "cruel and unusual torture for those of us trapped."

But a relative handful of respondents supported cellular service. Thomas Elsner of Wheaton, Ill., said allowing more mobile networks on flights would drive down Internet costs and provide better service than the current Wi-Fi networks.

Read More: http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/19/fcc-negative-comments-calls-on-planes/9293659/

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, while internet access is a great idea on flights, voice calls aren't.

3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would favor allowing in-flight cell phone use if, and only if, I would be allowed to garrote the person making the call with the cord from their cell phone charger. :D And I'm only half kidding when I say that.

blackjack-21, gregm and JosephMay like this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I already have enough aggravation without having to listen to everyone on their phones. I can just picture them yelling "What? What? Speak up, I can't hear you…I'm on a plane"

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  5. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I'd be ok if they were to allow texting, but definitely not voice calls.

uggboy, WilliamQ and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not encountered nor tried but did anyone had a fellow passenger trying to skype / google talk etc while on a flight using the wireless internet?

uggboy and gregm like this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if it was GoGo, it would be impossible. Too slow!

uggboy and WilliamQ like this.
  8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear enough before the door is closed. I've heard pax talk (fight:confused:) with husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, manicurists, lawyers and morticians. I heard one give her entire medical history. (After the flight, I wished her luck with every ailment she mentioned.) I get on board, greet the FAs and if I'm able, without interrupting, I greet the ones in the good seats with a view out of the front windows, but I digress.....and catch up on TV with my iPad and noise-cancelling headphones. In my own world.

blackjack-21, uggboy and WilliamQ like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the main reason I'm personally against voice calls on planes. Internet access however is great for data.

WilliamQ likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Texting, data, high speed internet even, it's all OK IMHO, but voice shouldn't be aloud on a plane.

blackjack-21, kenbo and WilliamQ like this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and very quiet!

kenbo and WilliamQ like this.
  12. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't be "allowed" on a plane. Although I can see your point in the original spelling!

After spending over two hours in a gate area at IAH listening to some j@ck@ss repeat over and over his recording about the upcoming flight from there to YYZ, and then finding I'm sitting in the exit row aisle seat while he's in the window seat in the same row, and then having to listen to him call lots more while we awaited the 55 minute paperwork signoff from the captain after a fuel pump change, and again listening to him repeat to all his callers, "Hi it's me, on my way to Toronto for a week, then off to LaLa land for a while.....", I never want to see a cellphone lifted on board an aircraft for any reason. Use your laptops for messaging, fun and games or whatever turns you on, just leave the cellphones off, not just in airplane mode.

And if you're so important that the calls just can't wait, just take a private jet charter. I read somewhere that you can get a small jet for only $1,550 per hour! Almost the cost of a J class fare if it's a short flight. :rolleyes:

uggboy likes this.
  13. Brett Diamond

Brett Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree on the "no voice call" policy because then people will start talking when you are trying to sleep. Unless airlines are willing to make a "quiet" cabin section available, they should look to the policy of other forms of mass transportation (buses, trains) and restrict cell phone calls.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  14. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I missed most of the news conference this afternoon because we were out at the time, but today, Canada's Federal Transportation Minister made some kind of an announcement that all mobile devices would be allowed to be used at all times on aircraft, subject to each individual airline's own restrictions. Not sure of all the details as yet, but I'll try to learn more later tonight or tomorrow.

While I did hear some mention of "flight mode", I hope they're not giving the go ahead for long (or any) cellphone calls on aircraft. :rolleyes: