FCC finds AT&T's purchase of T-Mobile not in the public interest

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by ACMM, Nov 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://pulse.me/s/3pyKC

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission’s staff has found AT&T’s proposed $39 billion acquisition of rival T-Mobile USA to be contrary to the public interest, with officials there saying the deal would result in the largest single concentration in the U.S. mobile market in history.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

Chimpy likes this.
  2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    For once FCC is not all about merger.

mht_flyer likes this.
  3. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's funny. I gave this (in an analyst brief I wrote) very little chance of closing when it was announced on the grounds that it would concentrate too much power by creating a duopoly in the mobile phone business. Everyone else seemed to think this was a good idea (including a few friends who were consulting for one party or the other).

The big question is what DT will do with T-Mo USA if the transaction doesn't go through. DT does not - or did not - want to invest in the U.S. any further (one of the grounds for the AT&T deal) but I would still contend that, were they to invest more and buy Sprint's customer base, they would create a decent-sized mobile operator that would give VZW and ATT a run for their money.

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    T-Mobile Running Out Of Moves

Posted on Wednesday Nov 23rd at 9:29am
    Federal Communications Commission chairman Julius Genachowski said on Tuesday that he doesn't think AT&T's proposed acquisition of T-Mobile USA is good for Americans. In fact, it appears he thinks the idea is downright bad for Americans.

Genachowski filed a draft order with his fellow commissioners, stating that the acquisition should be reviewed by an administrative law judge. The FCC itself does not have the authority to block the acquisition, but can send the deal to a judge, who can in turn take the necessary steps to prevent the merger from happening.

So, what exactly are AT&T's options and, more importantly, what are T-Mobile USA's options?

AT&T can soldier on--and probably will, despite the money it will lose pursuing its case. It will have to face the Department of Justice in court, the FCC in court, and Sprint and C Spire Wireless in court. AT&T had originally hoped to close the deal by March 2012. Now there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.
    If everything falls apart, however, T-Mobile is left hanging in the wind.

more here
    http://mobile.informationweek.com/80269/show/2057cd40b089d06df5e5c095fd96d58b/

Chimpy likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Done.

AT&T withdrawing merger application with the FCC while pursuing win with the Justice Department

http://pulse.me/s/3sDoC

Chimpy likes this.
  6. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amazing. Especially since they sidetracked normal process to approve LightSquared. LS interferes with GPS (including the units in aircraft)

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing AT&T didn't know about the resistance to this deal. They probably would have learned about it, but the call dropped out.

ducster likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.