FCC Commissioner says Marriott shouldn't be able to block your Wi-Fi hotspot

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Sammich, Jan 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/27/7921903/marriott-wifi-blocking-bad-idea-says-fcc-commissioner

2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, Newscience and Sammich like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice to see that ruling handed down without any ambiguity.

Sammich likes this.
  4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess if I notice wifi blocking when staying in American hotels I can report them to the FCC :p

uggboy likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    :) Yay! Sometimes, the regulators do their job. These tactics are nothing more than clear malfeasance, we all know it, Marriott knows it and so does FCC. The FCC ruling is clear and will support action against other chains/entities that attempt the same extortion (rip-off/denial of service) tactic. US consumers can be pleased that at least some of their Federal regulatory agencies - unlike for example the Canadian Transportation Agency - define rules of operation and enforce them against such corporate violations.

A hand for the regulators.

iolaire likes this.
  6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today:

With the FCC pretty much laughing off Marriott's request for permission to block guests' access to external Wi-Fi networks, the hotel chain has decided to withdraw its petition in a late attempt to save face. "We thought we were doing the right thing asking the FCC to provide guidance, but the FCC has indicated its opposition," Bruce Hoffmeister, Marriott's chief information officer, says in a statement.

iolaire likes this.