FC meals

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Ed74, Mar 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    Please remind me which legs receive the first ordering options. West bound forward to aft or vice versa? Southbound aft to forward? Can't remember.

Editorial comment...

I've always thought it was pretty cheap that based upon your seating selection that you might not get to chose between the cheese quesadillia vs the chicken pasta on your flight. :) You would think that if there are two dining options on the flight those would be available to everyone in First/Business. My thoughts regarding these options for paid fare vs upgraded fare is a topic for another thread. :)

I know many on here think differently but I think the food is really not that bad considering...

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just remember - FEBO.

Front Even, Back Odd.

So if your flight number is even, they start order taking from the front. If your flight number is odd, they start order taking from the back. Since this system is pretty easy to plan for and remember, I've never been in F where I didn't get a choice of meal.

There are limited situations where a premium cabin is served by a single FA on a two aisle wide body where the service order changes, but they're rare. In those cases it's ELFORB, which is described here: LINK.

With regards to food quality, generally speaking, I think most AA FFers appreciate that AA has a very good offering for domestic F. I certainly don't complain. :)

jbcarioca, Philphactor and sobore like this.
  3. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you sir.

Just changed some seats online.

I would be totally pissed if i was stuck with the pasta when I could have had the steak. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    East/West routes linked to Even/Odd flight numbers is pretty standard right?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Generally speaking, yes. Though I'm not sure how that helps with remembering, FEBO is pretty direct as it is.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Steak? LOL That's a good one. :)

7. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    I had a steak like product on an OGG-DFW trip if I remember correctly that was actually quite good. Cooked about medium and was actually tender to my surprise.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've had a few steaks that weren't too bad at all on AA myself....

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the transcons, it is. But on my last AA transcon in February, I was flying westward (#181) and orders started at the front. Good thing I was in the 2nd row ;)

10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Photo of my chateaubriand last week MAD-JFK that tasted great:

[​IMG]

And for dinner JFK-SFO the week before that (beef filet):

[​IMG]

11. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My understanding (please correct if incorrect) is that this just isn't cost-effective for the airline. On their menus, even in international business class, AA states pro-actively, pre-emptively, the airline's apology if the passenger's specific selection is not available.

I do recall being an eVIP-upgraded passenger sitting next to a paid-business passenger, my getting apparently the last of "his" choice, and his having an absolute fit about the airline running out of his choice,,with the FA, noting how many thousands of dollars he's paid for his ticket and the airline can't even give him a food option. I can see his point, and would likely feel disapointed as well, although from a business perspective, I'm not sure how AA could cater all possible meal choices for all possible passengers without losing money on it.

I've asked flight attendants on this, and their response has been that it "usually comes out in the wash", that it usually works out that there's enough people who don't want enough of one thing to meet the demands of the others who do want that same choice.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's an issue with the FA not following FEBO, not really an issue with the flight numbers matching the east/west pairing. AA181 is JFK-LAX and certaily fits the common east/west = even/odd format.

13. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    That actually looks good and doesn't look like it will walk off my plate.

14. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does FEBO apply to Eagle flights, as well? Doing my first "dinner" flight in Eagle F soon.

Skye1 likes this.
  15. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Such tantrum makes no sense as AA did not know what his favorite entree would turn out to be. I suppose a specific entree could be guaranteed for $xyz extra if booked 24 hr in advance? :D

16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having enough of each option so that every passenger in the cabin can have his/her choice requires that the airline purchase one of each option per seat. This is more expensive and also wasteful (although the crew often enjoys the leftover meals). In general, purchasing more than the minimum of one option per seat is referred to as "over-catering" and can range from a few extras to one of each per seat. On long-haul international flights, some airlines do significantly over-cater.