Favorite Ways to Make Minimum Spend?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by cjoordt, Sep 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. cjoordt

cjoordt New Member

Status Points:
    I just got my first card with a big fat points bonus if I spend $3000 in the first 3 months. I was really hoping I'd be able to find a way to pay my rent with my credit card without getting charged a fee, but alas, my efforts were in vain. A couple family members have agreed to use my card for various purchses, so I should make it to 3k, but just barely. For future reference, what are yall's favorite methods for making that minimum spend threshold without spending any more money than you usually would?

Kalboz and satman40 like this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get an Amex Serve Card,, buys SMGC, load it, and write your LL, and a trusted friend a few checks, then deposit the checks...

I pay many bills with Serve Checks,

$3,000 no problem, that is only a grand a month...

Soon you can do $3,000 a day, if needed..

3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    These guys were running a promotion for 1.5% fee for signing up a new payee. My first payment is scheduled this month so can't vouch for it yet, but might be worth looking into if you have a card that gets you at least 1.5% cash back.

https://www.plastiq.com

satman40 likes this.
  4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before getting any card with a spend requirement always have a plan in place before getting the card. While you have family members that have agreed to use the card it could happen that they decide not to make that $800 purchase and you are stuck, unless you have a back up plan.

In the future you may want to consider future spending. You know you will need gas and you probably eat at certain restaurants frequently. You can pre-spend for the upcoming months by getting fee free gift cards at various stores. Gift cards I frequently buy for myself from office supply stores are Shell gas, Chipotle and Starbucks. FYI the gas gift card is the same price as paying cash at the pump.

As far as the fee for paying your rent with a cc, the fee may be worth the points in the end, but you have decide if the points are worth the fee.

satman40 likes this.
  5. patl

patl New Member

Status Points:
    You can use your paypal business debit card to pay rent through RadPad (this can definately be done), and fund the paypal debit card through buying PayPal MyCash cards with your credit card (have not found these yet in my area).

satman40 likes this.
  6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just by using my card exclusively for 3 months, I have no trouble meeting the minimum spend. I use it on gas, groceries, dining out, and for all my bills that accept a credit card with no fee. I do not have monthly expenses that allow me to pursue a credit card signup bonus higher than $3k in 3 months, so I have stayed away from those offers. I would have to used manufactured spending for any signup bonus in excess of the standard $3K in 3 months, and I just haven't made that leap yet.

satman40 likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like others you should know your monthly expenses before going crazy on sign-on bonuses... otherwise you'll need to eat the fees associated with making up the difference...

Prior there was Amazon Payment with 0% fee; now I guess you could do Paypal and eat the fee ... or buy gc and use those later.

satman40 likes this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I operate a business, have some rental properties, so the spend is not a problem.

I do think many could pay their car insurance, buy gas cards, and even grocery store cards..focus on the one card, always limit your liabilities.

It is never good to spend extra just to meet a sign up bonus.

flyforawg likes this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    For bigger spend cards; sometimes I time it for when I need to pay my 6M car insurance, registration, etc.

10. TheBilou
    Original Member

TheBilou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you confirm that sending money to a friend via paypal, if you fund your paypal account with the credit card, counts toward minimum spend?

The fee is an issue, but at least it's doable.
    Thanks.

11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its counted towards spend ... i've used paypal to buy lots of things and i still get the 1pt/$. It might make it seem more "official" if your friend sends you an invoice for a "TV" or a "computer" ...

just saying

12. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly United most of the time since I'm lifetime Gold. So buying United gift cards is good for me.

satman40 likes this.
  13. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you explain how to use the Serve card to meet spend requirements?

satman40 likes this.
  14. PlantStrongTraveler

PlantStrongTraveler New Member

Status Points:
    Buy $500 Simon Mall VISA Gift Card(SMVGC). Take your SMVGC to Walmart(WM) Money Center and tell CSR you wish to load your SERVE account. Swipe SERVE, load SMVGC using it as a debit card. Use the last four digits of the card as PIN. Go home, log into SERVE acct. and set up your CC that you used to buy SMVGC as a Bill Pay. Pay your CC from your SERVE.
    This is a very basic instruction, so you may want to look into this further online. It is known as Manufactured Spending, and is not illegal.

satman40 likes this.
  15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    correct not illegal; but I believe most will think of this as abuse/money laundering. proceed with caution.

16. PlantStrongTraveler

PlantStrongTraveler New Member

Status Points:
    Money laundering=
    The process of taking the proceeds of criminal activity and making them appear legal.

I purchase SMVGC with money earned from my full time job of 30+ years at a well-known corporation. Funding my Serve account with them and paying my CC bill is MAYBE using it in a way that was not originally intended, but allowable nonetheless. Be careful using terms like "most" when you don't show facts...you would probably be surprised how many people would find this practice quite normal.
    Shame on you as a veteran here making accusations of criminal activity against a newcomer trying to help with a technique that can be found all over the internet. I guess there are sharks swimming in every forum.:rolleyes:

satman40 likes this.
  17. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not making accusations; just stating my opinion. I myself occasionally dabbles in MS; but my paranoia prevents me from doing it on a regular basis. Thus I ended with proceed with caution.

too many people/blogs write ways on how to get "Free" xxx yyy without really explaining the side-affects or potential pitfalls... however small the chance you think that is.

Shark? Where?!?

18. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I buy the SMGC since Costco does not take MC or VISA.:rolleyes:

I do not need MS to generate a 3k a month spend, it was just a suggestion,,

In this world no one needs to get creative to spend 3 grand in 3 months,:cool:

In the real world a Mc Dees burger flipper at $15.00 an hour has a $600.00 a week income, or $2400 a month spend, minus taxes...:confused:

Let's all get real...:D

edekba likes this.
  19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buy MC GC at OD with your INK Card and get 5X,

4 $500.00 gets you 10,000 miles for a $23.00 fee, or 100,000 for $230.00,

This could be Illegal, but it has been done, and I know of no one who has ever went to jail for doing it...

May God Bless and Protect you, sir...:)

edekba likes this.
  20. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely not illegal...

21. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What law is being broken ?

The sale of GC are legal, and many places sell them.

I often load them in my SERVE CARD, and write checks or pay my LAR at Lowe's

My Attorney has never said anything regarding this, and he is aware that I have done this.

Chase does limit it to 50k per card, and 4,000 bonus points per month on their CASH INK CARD. I do have a few Chase Ink Cards.

So please help me out,