Favorite travel apps: Android

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by ScottC, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Name your favorite travel apps if you use an Android device.

rangersfan likes this.
  2. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    pseudoswede and Freddie Listo like this.
  3. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    No Android, but Tripit and Flight Stats are great, and I assume Android-available.

4. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they are.I have TripIt Pro for my desktop, but FlightTrack PRO has tripit sync integrated, so I don't use a mobile version of it.

5. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    my number one travel app is Wireless Tether. You have to root your phone, but it is amazing. I use it on my Sprint Evo so I can get 4G speeds on my laptop. It's really nice not having to worry about hotel WiFi.

Tenmoc, Justin Johnson and ArizonaGuy like this.
  6. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too use Wireless Tether although it's now less useful to me since I primarily need it for travel outside the US - and unlimited global data without using a 3rd party is basically impossible.

Some not yet listed in previous posts:

Deutsche Bahn Rail Navigator - Look up rail timetables for the entire European continent
    SNCF Direct - Limited to France
    Rail Planner Live - Limited to UK
    Flightview Free - Pay to remove ads
    My Tracks - Record & share your GPS tracks
    Worldmate - I still prefer Worldmate Live to TripIt.
    Google Translate - 50 languages, voice input, text-to-speech, always improving too.
    Google Voice - avoid high cost of global texting by using data and having same # worldwide. Also good for cheap international calling from within the US. Also gives you Visual Voicemail with or without using your Google Voice number. Google Voice numbers not available to non-US residents, however.
    Skype - Skype lets you make calls over WiFi anywhere and 3G outside the US, avoiding exorbitant roaming fees. Hacked version found elsewhere also works on 3G within the US. Note this is NOT "Skype Mobile for Verizon" which is unnecessary with the full featured Skype app.

There's also a train app as well as a bus app for Ireland I recently used and was satisfied.

Freddie Listo and sagefemme52 like this.
  7. Kelsey
    Original Member

Kelsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I echo the Kayak sentiments, great on the go for checking hotels and cars for me. I also use Yelp on my phone for local restaurant recommendations, found some great spots that way.

8. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought of another..

Yelp! It is my go to for finding a place to eat or hang out. I have "discovered" many a place thanks to the community behind Yelp. I am obsessed.

Kelsey likes this.
  9. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one who likes the Checkmytrip app, despite it's still buggy?

10. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I might if my airline of choice (US - don't laugh) could be checked with any of the various reservation lookup apps or sites.

11. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    TripIt
    Audiogalaxy (so I don't have to sync music before i leave if I'll have internet)
    Hapi Podcast (so I can listen to the uprgd.com podcasts)
    LogMeIn
    Where's My Droid

12. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, with Tether.com, it is not necessary to root. It's $29.99 for the app and software for your laptop/tablet. So far, I have only used it on a couple of business trips, but I have found speeds ok, given I'm tethering off my 3G Verizon phone. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on this to do a lot of uploading, or even downloading, however.

13. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tether works great - used on my BlackBerry for a couple of years. However, even on Android it still requires a piece of software on your laptop and a USB connection. Rooting a phone and using wireless tether does exactly what the carrier-preinstalled tethering application does - gives you a mobile hotspot. No software or cable needed. A tad less secure this way but I'm not too concerned.

14. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
  15. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Google Maps

I'd be ... lost without it.

16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Nexus One has an entire home screen dedicated just to travel apps. My favorites:
    • Continental Airlines – This really is the model airline app. I can access my OnePass account, my reservations, check in online, save my mobile boarding pass to the app, subscribe to push notifications to update me on flight status, book travel, access airport terminal maps for nearly every airport they serve with mainline aircraft, find Presidents Club locations, and view upgrade standby lists and seat maps with this app. And, as if that weren't enough, Continental's flight status goes beyond any other airline's, by not only telling me the status of my flight, but the status of the preceding flight for my flight's aircraft.
    • Southwest Airlines – I've not flown WN since their Android app was released, but it looks pretty useful.
    • American Airlines – AA just released their Android app today, and it looks decent. It's certainly not full of the information that CO's is, but I've played around with it some tonight (I'm flying AA this week) and it seems to be pretty useful.
    • FlightTrack Pro – There is a paid version and a free version of FlightTrack; this is the paid version. I mostly use this app for its nice home screen widget, which always shows the status of my next flight right on my travel home screen. The paid version includes integration with TripIt, which makes getting all my flights into the FlightTrack Pro app super easy; I forward my e-mail flight confirmation to TripIt when I book a flight, the TripIt Android app sees it, and FlightTrack Pro sees that and adds the flights automatically to its list of trips. I don't use TripIt for anything else, but this feature is quite nice and makes finding flight status very easy, regardless of the airline I'm traveling on.
    • Google Maps/Google Maps Navigation – I have the car dock for my phone and use this app all the time when traveling in places I don't know well to find my way. It's easily one of the best turn-by-turn navigation systems out there, and the fact that it's free and included on my device makes it that much better. I used to own a stand-alone Garmin navigation unit, and this is a far better system than my Garmin was.
    • Priority Club – This is still the only Android app released by a major hotel chain and loyalty program. It's not a bad app at all, other than the fact the thing is unnecessarily huge; even with it stored on my device's SD card, it takes up a lot of memory, and I really can't figure out why. I don't use it all that often, but mostly keep it because it's the only major brand hotel app out there on Android so far. I'd love to see Starwood, Marriott, and Hilton come out with something similar.
    • Open Table – Great for quick restaurant reservations that earn points toward free dining certificates, and for finding good places in big cities.
    • Yelp – Another great source of information on restaurants, shopping, hotels, and virtually anything else you can think of.
    • Foursquare – Good for keeping up where my friends are; I've had unexpected meetings with friends at various airports that wouldn't have happened otherwise thanks to Foursquare on multiple occasions. The tips and geolocation features are also great for finding out what's nearby.

tomv likes this.
  17. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reading about these Android apps has me so excited. Finally getting a new phone in about 2 weeks, going from old Windows Mobile 6.5 to Android, and I cant wait to have a phone thats going to rock it again!!

18. tomv
    Original Member

tomv Silver Member

Status Points:
    PdaNet is my favorite, a great tethering program. Also Google navigation has been a life saver when my Garmin just couldn't get the job done!

Grace likes this.
  19. I use pda.net for Tethering

20. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    • TripIt - I love their website, and the app is slowly getting better
    • FlightView free- notifications of takeoff/landings for specific flights, lot of other good data
    • AA app - check check of flights, reservations, etc.
    • Learn German and QuickDic - available in several languages, can be quite handy when reading menus and other situations. This one takes a good bit of space, but doesn't require a network connection (great for CDMA phones)
    • My Tracks - measure route/distance for hiking and kayaking

21. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used pda.net for tethering as well until my device was upgraded to Froyo. After that upgrade I went to just using the built-in tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot functionality that's in the OS.

Bizi likes this.
  22. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    TripIt Pro is fantastic.

The Southwest app also works very well.

23. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Google Maps anybody? Best navigation App I have used so far.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  24. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree on Google Maps for navigation. When I got the phone, the Verizon guy demoed it for me, and I took it for granted until my boyfriend started raving about it. His "brilliant!", "that's fantastic!", and other praises about it made me realize how good it is.

25. Vik Murthy
    Original Member

Vik Murthy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily an Android-specific app, but I would have to throw a shout-out to Flightcaster (www.flightcaster.com), which will predict 6 hours before departure the likelihood of your flight taking off on time. Very helpful for a procrastinator like me who likes to wait for the last possible moment to begin packing. Now if only there was an Android app that would pack for me.