Favorite place to ski at Lake Tahoe

Discussion in 'California' started by Scottrick, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Which side of the lake do you prefer in general?

1. North Shore

50.0%
  2. South Shore

50.0%
  3. I don't like skiing at Tahoe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm heading up to Squaw Valley next weekend (new snow coming through now... sweet!) and it got me thinking about where the best place to ski is in that area. I'm partial to Heavenly because I like having some dedicated runs (as opposed to the bowls at Squaw) and the views are great. But I usually go to Squaw because my parents have a couple timeshares there and the drive is much easier from the Bay Area. I've also been to Mt. Rose in the middle of a storm--boy was that fun, skiing with 5 foot visibility on the side of a mountain!

Any other particular resorts I should consider? I'm not including specific names in the poll because I think people should provide some explanation in their picks. Now that I live in SEA, flying into RNO would be a lot easier than going to SFO and driving with my family, so that's one consideration. Hotels in RNO also have free shuttles to some ski resorts. There are always so many competing variables...

2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to frequent Homewood, great when the upper peaks of the big mountains are closed due to visibility/wind. Mt Rose was good, Sugar Bowl was always good for early season or a Sunday to get a bit of a start back to the bay. Never really a fan of Heavenly, I found it too run oriented and too full of tourons. Alpine valley could be a pain to get into but I like their terrain.

And now I've been in SE Asia for 4 winters. My skis and boots (several to each) stored at friends' places. I do miss winter.... but not the drive to Tahoe. 210 miles. It was as short as 3.15 hours, as long as 7. Blah.

3. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm very partial to Sierra-at-Tahoe, partially because it reminds me of skiing a lot of once-small Colorado resorts in the '80s. I also like Squaw and Alpine.

I loathe Heavenly skiing but I do love the views. I think it is too crowded and as such, a bit dangerous. I've also seen some less than ideal grooming there off the main runs.

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  4. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not Lake Tahoe per se, but Sugar Bowl in early December, mid-week is some real nice uncrowded skiing!

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My dad's favorite line: "It doesn't matter when you leave, you'll still get there at 11 PM."

kwai likes this.
  6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's truth to it. A bunch of shared a cabin for 4 winters and we typically left at 7:30... because we would get there between 11 - 12. [​IMG]

He, I'd forgotten about that.

7. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that Heavenly can be like the security line at MCO on weekends and holidays...

However, it is a totally different animal mid-week...you should try it. A lot easier to enjoy the spectacular views when you don't have to fight the crowds. Being an HHonors member, I like to stay at the ES on points and find walking to the gondola convenient (no parking/long walking/waiting for the shuttle hassles).