Favorite NYC Bagels?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by rwoman, Aug 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

In the past, we've gone to Ess-a-Bagel and love them.

Any other recommendations when we're in NYC (Manhattan) in October?

:)robin

2. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you had said Brooklyn instead of Manhattan, I would have directed you here:

Bagels by Bell/B&S Bialy

They make the absolute best bagels and bialys I have ever had — especially when they are hot and fresh, right out of the oven, which is usually in the mornings.

However, if you cannot travel to the Canarsie section of Brooklyn, they do distribute their products throughout New York City, including Manhattan.

rwoman likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a big fan of Murray's, mostly because they are on my block but also because I actually enjoy them.

Their craptacular, flash-based website is here: http://www.murraysbagels.com/index2.htm.

rwoman likes this.
  4. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Brooklyn ,'Bagel Hole' bet Ave J and Ave K on Coney Island Ave (CIA)

if its not Boiled then its not a Bagel! all you would have is a Roll with a hole in the middle of it

rwoman likes this.
  5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How's their Bagel & Lox and what's your address so I can throw TP & Eggs after enjoying said Bagel & Lox.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for folks posting recs for NYC bagels, I've not been that smitten with NYC bagels as I was with those from Montreal.

Personally I believe the wood fired oven bagels in Montreal (i.e. bagel shops St Viateur and Fairmount) some of the best in the world.

Flyer1976 and rwoman like this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    All,

Thanks for posting your thoughts! :) I'm sure we'll end up at a bagel shop AT LEAST once!

:)robin

8. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    imo, there are 3 basic styles of NYC bagels & since they all have their merits, the best usually depends on my mood.

Ess-a-bagel is radioactively large so it's doughier. It's my go to bagel but then again, the fact that its shop is closest to me may come into play.

H&H is on the thinner smaller & imo sweeter, maltier & pricier side.

Murray's falls somewhere btwn the other 2 & strikes a nice balance.

Try them all...Options are good!

rwoman likes this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the "run down!"

10. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to live a few blocks from Essa, they were great.

H&H is closed now, at least that's what I read in the NYT recently. (the original one on Broadway).

here it is .. http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/h-h-bagels-closing-its-upper-west-side-store/

apparently they still have a location on W46th St. But most people probably remember the one at Broadway and W80th.

-David

11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    All impossible to get to for the casual tourist... that is of course unless you're with Canarsie or dhammer53. ;)

Attention NYC visitors.

Bagels and pizza will taste real good to you. Why? Because you're comparing NY bagels and pizza to whatever you get back home. Of course the NY product will taste better. My advice is to go to any bagel or pizza place (we call them pizza places here) in the city. You'll love what you get. If you want to game the system, head to one of the places mentioned above for bagels. I'm surprised advice wasn't given to ask for a warm, just out of the over bagel? :(

SC Flier likes this.
  12. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, at Bagels by Bell/B&S Bialy, one does not need to place that request to receive a hot, just out of the oven bagel — especially if one arrives during the morning hours — and I am talking about steaming the car windows during the heat of summer hot.

By the way, if you are ever in the Atlanta area, please let me know. I know of a pizza place in Kennesaw whose pies actually rival that found in Brooklyn in terms of quality and taste.

I kid you not.

doc and Flyer1976 like this.
  13. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I recommend is coming across the river and getting yourself a taylor ham, egg and cheese on an everything bagel. You will never forget this oh so delicious tasting sandwich.

14. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the bagels from the northern New York suburb of Montreal ! They can't be beat.....:cool:

Sweet Willie and milchap like this.