Favorite new travel gadget or advancement of 2013

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by adambadam, Dec 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    As the year comes to a close, would anyone like to share their favorite new travel gadget/app/tech advancement, or multiple, that has made travel easier/more convenient for them?

I will start it off with my iPad Air with Tmobile. Really been enjoying the free data. It's perfect when I am on the road and need to quickly connect on a screen larger than my phone to send off an email or look something up. Their new global plans are also making a carrier switch very tempting when my contact is up.

Also, Google Flights and Hotel search have both become one of my go-to tools for booking travel. It is a fast, intuitive and fairly robust search with minimal clutter.

Sammich, UA191, MSYgirl and 1 other person like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    (weird and annoying, it asked me to confirm if I really wanted to like your post - something new?)

I appreciate the Google flights and hotel searches as well. My new tablet has been very convenient for staying connected, although the security apps have let me down since my email keeps getting hacked every time I visit an airport even with an encrypted tablet. My next goal is to find an ironclad security app to stop this from happening.

Sammich likes this.
  3. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    A VPN should help you prevent that.

ITA and Kayak have been my friends since day 1. As well as WorldMate.
    Surprisingly I'm not a big fan of tablets. I usually carry my ultrabook around or just my iPhone. Works enough for me. I'm not a big fan on using public computers either. :(

MSYgirl likes this.
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me either. I always feel like my personal information would get stored somewhere on it, so why take the risk?

I have to rely on WiFi and looked into VPNs before, but there were so many options/companies/lists I was overwhelmed. Any recommendations of specific one that's reliable?

Sammich and gaijin62 like this.
  5. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to get my hands on a chromebook to install linux on it, but they are not available in asia.

6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been using my company provided one for personal use as well ever since they introduced it to us.

If a corporate one is not available, I've used https://proxy.sh/ for a while. Basically anything with a fair price (<$9.00 USD a month) with no logging policy is good enough for me. I take privacy really serious, as using a VPN means you're sending all the data through the providers.

Here's a list of VPN providers about their no logging policy:
    http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition-130302/

MSYgirl likes this.
  7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks to be a good choice, and the package which includes the UK and almost all of the countries I'm traveling to next year is reasonable at $10/month. I do like the flexibility of being able to use the service on up to three devices at a time. This works well in case I am using my tablet and also have to power up the laptop for work-related purposes. Thanks for the suggestion. *offers cookies*

Sammich likes this.
  8. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem! Not sure of proxy.sh offers multiple devices as I haven't tried it before, but PIA (Private Internet Access) seems to offer up to 5 devices at the same time and there seems to be a fanbase for them:
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/

MSYgirl likes this.
  9. ldrydr

ldrydr Silver Member

Status Points:
    This device from iTwin will take care of your VPN needs. Yes, it's $199 but there's no ongoing monthly cost after that. And it gives you a secure remote connection to your computer and files at home.

http://www.itwin.com/itwin_connect.php

10. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    For VPN I prefer to use my own systems. I have a Synology NAS (supports most common VPN protocols, very easy to setup) at home and a linux VPS (not for the non-techies) and both work quite well.

11. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whilst I was on Holiday last year in Greece I took my Ipad and connected to the WiFi which was great, however certain features on my Ipad, including Facebook for e.g blocked me as they did not recognize my I.P address and had assumed my Ipad had been stolen, which in one respect is great, but i subsequently could not reconnect. But I relied on the WIFI, however I only really used it to send a few e-mails and using the map feature to figure out how to get around from A-B. It was my first time away with my Ipad, so next time I will definitely be looking into some other features to make sure that everything is safe and secure and I am able to use it hassle free.

12. abimatov

abimatov Member

Status Points:
    In 2013 I started using TravelWits.com. It finds cheapest nonstop flights from all the airports, small and large, that are within your driving distance. For example, I'm from Pittsburgh. If I want to fly from here to Los Angeles, nonstop flights are over $600, which is quite expensive. Using TravelWits, I found out that I can drive 177 miles to Columbus, Ohio and take a non-stop flight from there for $199. When traveling with a girlfriend or a family this can be over a thousand of dollars in savings!

That's my number 1 for the 2013. I really haven't seen anything like it so far. Let me know if there are similar tools.

SwenV likes this.