Favorite local restaurants in Italy

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Bonnie, Oct 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    We will be returning to Italy (Firenze, Amalfi coast and Roma) after way too many years away. Would love to hear your restaurant suggestions.....that little special place with incredible food, delightful service and prices that don't cause Euro Shock! Thanks!

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Firenze: 100 Posti was a favorite, fresh pasta cooked to order (the tagliatelle was amazing).
    Roma: The restaurant in front of the Pantheon has a covered seating area, great food (also fresh pasta), and great service (can't remember the name of it).

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Florence we liked that Golden View Bar and Restaurant and the Fusion Bar and Restaurant. Gorgeous fresh pizza, pasta, wines and oh yes, especially with the Golden View, as the name suggests views towards the River Arno and the Ponte Vecchio. For some high design / stylish food, try the Gucci Museo Cafe, outstanding setting with views towards the famous Neptune fountain, a glass of rose, freshly made salads. Enjoy.

4. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Florence: La Cucina del Garga - I don't like the fact that this place made onto TA's list...but it was great before 2012. Delicious steak, pasta just right, best tiramisu, tender grilled octopus.

Roma: Gelateria Fatamorgana - so far, this is THE best gelato I've had. But I only get the nocciola/hazelnut flavor.

Bonnie, uggboy and tondoleo like this.
  5. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    Bonnie and uggboy like this.
  6. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much, everyone! This is developing into a great list for me! So many restaurants....too few days!

tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  7. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Olive Garden :p

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

FetePerfection, tondoleo and Bonnie like this.
  8. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    When are you going? We'll be in Amalfi in December, if you're going after that we're sure to have suggestions.

tondoleo, Sweet Willie and Bonnie like this.
  9. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great, flynhwn....we're going late March/early April. Will look forward to hearing your suggestions. Have a terrific trip!!

tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh man, just miss you, we'll be in Naples/Amalfi coast the last 5 days of Nov.

Will make sure to post.

Bonnie, uggboy and tondoleo like this.
  11. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are three more recommendations for the Firenze area.

1. From the remarkable MP Guide Gargoyle "Do not eat at a restaurant that has a "menu turistico" in 4 languages in the window. If you already know this from prior visits then I have only two recommendations.

2. If you are a confirmed carnivore try the oldest restaurant in Firenze. It is called Trattoria Sostanza. Simple decor, excellent food. You need a reservation. Sra. tondoleo is still on a serotonin high from the gigantic Florentine Steak from this place 4 months later.

3. If you have the time and want a stupendous meal consider going to Figline Valdarne. It is a 35 minute drive from Firenze. Go to Chef Claudio's ristorante Torre Guelfa. You dine al fresco and the food does not stop until you are ready to blow up. This was the restaurant I enjoyed the most.

Have a great trip.

Gargoyle, Bonnie and uggboy like this.
  12. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, tondoleo.....Bistecca alla Fiorentino! Be still my heart!. Trattoria Sostanza it is! I'm going to have to delay my return flight home (or just cancel it!:p)... Awesome list! Thanks, everyone!!

tondoleo likes this.
  13. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I can't forget to make time for delff128's favorite :rolleyes:

tondoleo and delff128 like this.
  14. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They have fresh pasta with a side of sarcasm :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

tondoleo and Bonnie like this.
  15. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    tondoleo likes this.
  16. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    Florence: Mamma Gina (near Ponte Vecchio). Old school service, good italian food, and excellent and fairly priced wine card. http://www.mammagina.it

uggboy and tondoleo like this.
  17. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I have a general (maybe stupid) suggestion... ask at hotel reception. :D
    They are people who live in that town, so certainly know a good restaurant and are updated.
    Many restaurants often change management (or worse cook), so a few years does not mean they are still good. I always do so, and almost always I have had excellent results. Do not trust if you recommend the hotel restaurant :cool:

Gargoyle, tondoleo and Sweet Willie like this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agree to an extent as many hotels will simply send tourists to "tourist" restaurants (maybe even a restaurant that the hotel or concierge receives a payback from).

So if I haven't done any research myself, I agree I'll ask at a hotel but clarify that I do NOT want to be sent to the equivalent of Applebee's in Italy. (which isn't always an easy conversation to have if one doesn't speak the language)

OY-JFS, Bonnie and tondoleo like this.
  19. chrispy85

chrispy85 Member

Status Points:
    In Florence, I'd suggest the Trattoria Bordino (near Ponte Vecchio) - really good homestyle Tuscan food and a daily menu for only 8 euros. The food isn't haute cuisine, but it's soulful and the owners are nice. It's a bit hard to find, but it's worth it!

OY-JFS and tondoleo like this.
  20. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  21. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend the 'Hostaria il Desco' in Florence Italy! Had some good steak there!

22. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    15 minutes north of Salerno & the eastern part of the Amalfi Coast is the town of Cava de' Terrini which is just off the autostrada A3.

Mrs Willie & I had one of our best meals in Italy at a restaurant called Casa Rispoli located in Piazza San Francesco in the town of Cava de' Terrini. While they don't have English menus, the waiter Enzo took his time in translating/explaining the entire menu to us. We dined on fresh grilled octopus (tender!) over whipped potato with squeezes of fresh Amalfi coast lemons, scallops w/truffles (done perfect!), a pasta course w/seafood, then finished with suckling pork cooked sous-vide. Terrific, reasonable priced wines by the glass.

bk3day likes this.
  23. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Casa Rispoli sounds sensational! Keep going....and keep posting, Sweet Willie. I'm lovin it!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  24. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you are in the Bergamo area:

Hosteria del Vapore
    Via Manzoni 2
    Carobbio degli Angeli

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

25. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from the Almalfi Coast and have found some gem restaurants. San Andreas restaurant next to the church is very good.

When in Almalfi take a short walk down the coast to Altrani, about 10 minutes. After you go thru the tunnel walk down the stairs. Facing the ocean if you go to the right you'll find a great restaurant. If you want to try something different try the octopus salad. It is the softest and most flavorful that I have even had. (I personally like octopus). If you walk to the left you'll see a Pizza restuarant that is excellent! If you pass that place and walk into the piazza look to your right and in the left corner there's still another spectacular place (not Mistral but to the left of it). Sorry I didn't get the names. The octopus soup is not really soup and my wife who doesn't like octopus ate a good portion of my meal. It was great!!!

Altrani is not a tourist town even if it is next to Almalfi. There are no crowds and the people are even friendlier. If you haven't made reservations for a place to stay you might want to try Eva Rooms. The rooms are large and clean with spectacular views of the coast. It is perhaps the best views of any there. Pio the owner is very friendly and helpful.

uggboy likes this.