Favorite LHR Property?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by rwoman, Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I have stayed at most of the IHG properties near LHR. Just curious about what others think/prefer.

Crowne Plaza LHR - I've stayed here a couple of times as a PC Gold...comfortable bed; amenity kit with ear plugs and aromatherapy to help sleep; customer service was okay, although I thought it was slow. Staying at this property requires taking a taxi (no clue on cost) or the Hotel Hoppa shuttle (7-8GBP round trip).

There is not really much around this property - the motorway, a Novotel (I think), and other roads. It's a bit of a walk, but the bus that runs nearby goes to Uxbridge in one direction and Hounslow Central in the other direction.

HI Heathrow (Bath Road and Sipson Way) - Beds and pillows are average - certainly nothing spectacular. Customer service is so-so; I have had it be really good once or twice, bad a couple of times, and so-so the rest of the time. As a PC Plat, I've been upgraded once. I like that I can use one of several buses from the LHR Central Bus Station or Hatton Cross Tube Station to get to this property.

The in-house restaurant is alight, although I think it's pricey. I've had the breakfast buffet (included with some rates) and it had a great selection of items. McDonald's, a service station, and a pub or too are all within walking distance - 15 minutes or so.

HI Heathrow Ariel (Bath Road at Harlington Corner)- This is the "round one" that you can see from the northern runway. I've usually had good service. Bed and pillows are average. We were upgraded once when the room we were supposed to get was still occupied. I like that I can use one of several buses from the LHR Central Bus Station or Hatton Cross Tube Station to get to this property - note - not all of the buses that pass by Harlington Corner (stop for this property) fall under the LHR Free Zone.

I've had the breakfast buffet (included with some rates) and it had a great selection of items. McDonald's, a service station, and a pub or too are all within walking distance - 15 minutes or so.

HI M4 - I have not stayed at this property.

HIEX T5 - I have not stayed at this property, but do have a booking for late September.

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

:)robin

Kevincm, sendaiben and uggboy like this.
  2. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah the Ariel. Or my matress run hotel as it turned into this year during "Crack the Case". :D

It's not a bad hotel at all as they've started refreshing the TV's in the rooms. Don't book a single room though as you'll be pushed lookined inwards. And they're pokey as heck.

On the plus side on a 2-4-1 rate, or a cheap bonus points rate - it's excellent value for money.

As it's on within the Heathrow Free-Flow Zone http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/heathrowterminals123-13970.pdf, you can avoid paying the silly £4.50 National Express wants to take you from the HI to the Airport. Also for cheap people, you Bus 140 to Hayes and Harlington station for quick cheapconnections to Paddington and London (Z6 to Z1). Depending on which side of London you're going to/coming from, it's a good option...

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Terminal 5 this past weekend. It is a new property located in Slough, to the west from LHR. I had to use the Hotel Hoppa (note, it is 4.50 each way or 8GBP to buy a ticket from the driver or 7GBP if you use the kiosk at the National Express Desk inside the terminal) from T5 - Bus #H55. There are city buses that go near there, but I had not worked out how to do so and had baggage. The bus runs approximately every 30 minutes and also stops at the Marriot-Windsor. There are city bus stops nearby, but I did not get details on using them to/from LHR.

Check in was fast and the desk staff were very welcoming. I was given my room card and directed to the lifts. The room was standard for European HIEX properties and the bathrooms were decent size with a nicely tiled shower. My main complaint was the relatively low lighting in the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable - one of the best of all the LHR properties I have stayed at in the past 5 years.

The property has a restaurant in house that was busy when I came in. Breakfast begins at 0700 on the weekends, which was too late for my departure. They did have to go breakfast boxes with a Nutrigrain bar, cereal, a pastry, orange juice, and dried fruit for early morning pax.

At present, the property is 50% open although I would have never guessed that this was the case other than seeing scaffolding from the outside.

I definitely recommend staying here, especially for T5 departures!

Thanks!
    :)robin

uggboy likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had another stay at the Holiday Inn Heathrow Ariel this past weekend. Check in was a bit busy, but when I got to the desk they had my room key ready and gave me an upgrade (PC Plat status). :)

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have read and researched this property and thanks for your valuable insights, had a good feeling about this one! Will have to stay there too, unusual that they have a restaurant on site which is rare for a HIE and it sounds indeed very inviting.:)

Kevincm likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another fine stay at this property, iconic building design, was opened by the queen! Which upgrade have you gotten for being a loyal PC platinum?

rwoman likes this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made Plat last June - most of my stays since then have been at HIEX properties. I've stayed at the HI Heathrow on Bath Road/Sipson Way several times...no u/g. This was my first stay at the Ariel in 6 months or so and I had the u/g. I'm staying here again Friday, so we'll see how it goes. I'd have gone with the Crowne Plaza, but it was another 40GBP and requires using the Hotel Hoppa, which I generally find is a waste of money. :)

Kevincm and uggboy like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the infos, I really like the HIE properties, looking forward to trying many more. The Ariel shines in recognizing PC Plat. Let us know about the Crowne Plaza Heathrow, never stayed there and had always very inconsistent stays with this IHG brand. Much prefer HIE, HI, Indigo and IC.:)

Indeed, the Hoppa bus issue is one we could have whole threads here and ranting about. Unavoidable indeed, wish the hotels could offer complimentary airport transportation. Here is to dreaming, at least for now.;)

Kevincm and rwoman like this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another ++ for the Holiday Inn Heathrow Ariel - I was given an upgrade to an exec room (I like free water!). They also provided a voucher for a free drink at the bar. Good service combined with a great location will encourage me to return to this property!

Kevincm and uggboy like this.
  10. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Ariel isn't that bad at all as I've noted above. Even a PC Gold gets a drink at the bar FOC (well this gold did until he upgraded to being a Plat;)).

Depending on the price - it can be a bit of a bargain.

I just object to the whole Hoppa bus thing. I remember staying in a Comfort Inn which was only reachable by shuttle bus. That... was grim.

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to avoid using the Hoppa if at all possible...one reason I do not like the mystery of Hotwire...although sometimes the price cannot be beat. :)

uggboy likes this.