Favorite IAD United Club

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mowogo, Oct 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Favorite IAD United Club

1. C7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. C17

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. D8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I know better, find me at the Senator Lounge

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is your favorite United Club at Dulles?

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH lounge all the way!

AZjohn likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Was C7 the one that had the rats?

4. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially now that it opens at 8:20 am!

5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree 100%
    Really dislike IAD and all UC's are kind of the same to me (haven't had a chance to check out the FCL yet).
    John

Flyer1976 and Quasiconvexity like this.
  6. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a trick question, right? :)

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA needs to bomb the C/D concourse, clubs and all. What an embarassment. Just wish the LH Senator lounge were closer/quicker to get to.

mowogo, goalie and AZjohn like this.
  8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say that is the answer, but why waste the good bombs, C/D is falling apart already. Just build a new terminal and shove all non-Star Alliance carriers over there.

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will use the LH lounge later today at IAD until I have to get to the other wing for my flight.

IAD C/D wing is almost as bad as BOS terminal which is out of the 1950s. Both are embarrassments but UA can't be blamed since it can't build its own terminals. The USA is certainly becoming a third world country when it comes to transportation infrastructure! Then again, that's a slight to a lot of third world countries...

mowogo likes this.
  10. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have a little story regarding this. About a year and a half ago (it was just before the “official” announcement of CO and UA merger) I was on a flight to IAD on a 777 in seat 8A. Right when the doors closed a guy sat down next to me in 8B and said “hello Mr. AZjohn, my name is (forgot his name) and I’m a manager at United". Kind of freaked me out he knew my name.

I shook his hand and said it was nice to meet him. After we took off he pulled a pad of paper out and a pen and then said “do you mind if I ask you some questions about how you feel about United”? I said “no, I don’t mind, what would you like my feedback on’?

He started to ask some questions and I then I asked him, why are you asking me these questions, I am just an average Joe 1K guy, nothing special about me? He said there was 4 customers he wanted to ask questions to on this flight and they are all important to United (made me feel kind of good).

So I then I said, look I am probably the last guy you want to interview because I am probably the biggest supporter of UA and so my responses are likely not what you are looking for. BUT, there are only two things I can think of that I really do not like that I will share with you:

1. Your CRJ’s really are hard to travel in and they seem to be taking over more mainline routes.

2. Your terminals and customs/immigration area at IAD really suck!

So he explained that there were plans in the making for a new terminal at IAD but it would be a minimum of 5 years to complete. All I can say is “bummer, guess I have to put up with Dulles for longer then I hoped". Then he gave me the paper work for Global Entrance (never heard of it before) and said this would help minimize my time in customs/immigrations ;)

Then I asked if plans would change once the merger with CO became “official”. He said he couldn’t comment on this right now (which of course I understood). Then we spent the next 45 minutes just talking about UA history and his job and both of our families. It was enjoyable talking with him then he said he had to go talk with the other 3 customers on his list and see you on touchdown.

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Currently sitting in the pier D UC awaiting my 9:55p flight back to YYZ. Arrived on LH from FRA in F but being a connection I was shunted off to the C pier for customs/baggage. (Thank goodness I have Global Entry but the security lanes are a whole other matter...some of the most inept staff I've ever encountered!) Checked in on the C pier UC but it was too crowded at 4:30/5p. Thought of trying the UA F lounge but decided to trek over to the B pier and use the LH lounge. When I got there -- don't get me started on the new "people mover" inter-terminal system -- they were preparing to close at 6p so just had a half-hour before trying the D pier UC. Much quieter and empty once the 5p-6p wave of flights went off. However, T-Mobile has been down in both UC lounges and a very week airport wifi is accessible if one sits by the windows by D8. Hope it stops raining, my plane was downgraded from an E170 to an E145, so lost my F seat and must walk outside to get onto the plane. Must remember to bring a Wall Street Journal from the lounge with which to cover my head!

Flyer1976 likes this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I can help it...the LH Senator Lounge accompanied with a quick sprint to my UA Gate!

mowogo likes this.
  13. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Senator lounge is much easier to do when the flights are departing from A or D, but still worth it with a long layover from C.

14. foady

foady Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is definitely a trick question! :)

Quasiconvexity and mowogo like this.