Favorite Brand of Guidebook

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by James K., Aug 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey there everyone. I'm fairly new here, and I just like soliciting people's opinion on all things travel. So to that end, I'm curious, what is your favorite brand of guidebook?

flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm partial to Rough Guides. I like the fact that they have book recommendations, and I think the maps are pretty good. Frommer's are pretty good also.

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Easy! Lonely Planet.. Pretty much have one from everyplace I've traveled to.

4. globalexplorer

globalexplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    lonely planet without question!

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A mix out of Lonely Planet, Frommers and Rough guides. Depends what I'm looking for and what info is provided. Sometimes these guides are in sales, that's also a point I do not overlook.:)

flyingdawg likes this.
  6. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on where I am going. I like Footprints in South America, Bradt in Africa, Rough Guide in most other places. I am not a fan of Lonely Planet since their maps are below par.

7. bretta

bretta Silver Member

Status Points:
    For Europe, Rick Steves.

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I sell Travel Guide books.

Here are my recommendations.

For the places that they do Guidebooks, The Moon Handbooks are fantastic.
    For the others, next comes Lonely Planet.
    Then Rough Guides,
    Then surprising Frommer's (Being bought by Google)
    Then comes Michelin for the areas they do.
    Then Fodors.

Eyewitness Guides by DK are absolutely fantastic but they weigh a ton and are not good while traveling because of the weight.

By far the best are the Blue Guides. But there are only 13 titles and most are more than a decade old.

My suggestion is to look at all of them for the destination and pick the ones that you personally like.

Like in my map store, I get people who want to know which map of Paris is the best. Since I have not made it to Paris yet, I really do not know which is the best. Choose the one that you like. It will probably get you where you want to go and will function. If you are moving to a town, get them all.

But as a tourist (or traveller) find what you like.

James K. and uggboy like this.
  9. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Largely agree with what you wrote Mr. Mapsmith. I use Moon handbooks around America. They're not necessarily the best-written (prose-wise) but they're very user-friendly and typically have terrific maps.

No one's mentioned Eyewitness Guides yet and I love them for a city in which I already have a bit of an idea what I want to do. They're not nearly as good at recommending as Rick Steves, as Bretta mentioned--in fact they barely do it at all--but they give you so much detail and pictures and their map index/appendix is tremendous. My favorite feature of any guidebook series, hands down.

Frommers is decent but sometimes it feels they do things on the cheap. Cruddy paper quality, very few pictures, not comprehensive maps, and other problems. Fodors, on the other hand, has high production values but doesn't actually make very good, organized guidebooks.

Somehow I haven't used a Lonely Planet yet. I guess I need to travel to more out of the way locations. If my Skymiles get me to Mauritius/Reunion next summer like I hope, I'll finally get one.

uggboy likes this.