Favorite/best beach hotel in the US

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by DAS02135, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's your favorite beach hotel in the US?

People often respond to the "favorite beach property" question with places like the Maldives, but my budget is not letting me get to the Indian Ocean anytime soon (...unless someone wants to donate a lot of miles to me ;)).

So, let's narrow the question to your favorite beach hotels in the Hilton family in the US, and that way we can maybe create the "economy" version of the ubiquitous thread!

(EDIT) MilePointers have recommended:

2. polar_bear
    Original Member

polar_bear Active Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Suites Ocean City (Maryland) Oceanfront is very nice. The suites are similar layout to an Embassy suites with a separate bedroom and living room, the have a full kitchen between the rooms. Indoor and Outdoor pools/spa as well as right on the beach.

If you swimming in the Ocean then it is not a year round option due to the location.

3. dctravel

dctravel Active Member

Status Points:
    I always like Fort Lauderdale beach. Haven't stayed there, but the Hilton on the beach is supposed to be excellent. A few years ago I stayed a couple of doors down when they were building the Hilton and it looked to be a first rate property directly across from the beach (which all hotels in that area are).

4. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    We never stay in hotel properties on the beach in the US. I have found the condo properties and individual homes provide a much better experience for the family. We stay at various places along the Alabama and Florida Gulf Coast multiple times a year. I have had great success with www.vrbo.com in finding great properties.

5. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there specific cities you recommend?

6. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pensacola Beach, Destin, Sandestin, Seaside, Watercolor, Seacrest, Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach - All on Florida Pan Handle
    Gulf Shore, Orange Beach - Alabama Gulf Coast

2soonold likes this.
  7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    My favorite beach condo property is this one:

http://www.astonhotels.com/aston/pr...reaId=42&marketAreaId=16&operatingCompanyId=5

In fact, I am there right now. This property was originally a Hilton, so that will give you an idea of the quality. Hilton made a decision to get out of the business of managing condos. This is a lovely property, on Kaanapali beach on Maui. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get better than this.

8. BobbyOrr
    Original Member

BobbyOrr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Big fan of the Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach resort hotel in Oxnard, CA (Ventura County - north of LA).
    Tucked away behind a residential neighborhood and right on the ocean. Quiet and relaxing location, you are generally away from large crowds and have a great stretch of beach with a lot of activities for people of all ages and interests.
    This part of the CA coast is sort of an under appreciated treasure. I hope I'm not giving it away.
    Wife and I have stayed here several times; always on award stays. The staff treats you very well if you have status with HHonors. Once came to our room after we checked in and gave us a complimentary bottle of wine since they felt we 'earned it' by driving 5 hours to their location. Little things like that from the staff mean a lot. And this hotel seems to have trained it's staff well on how to appreciate their guests.
    One thing we always comment about is how clean the rooms are in this hotel. The grounds themselves are also kept very clean - not easy when the guests are walking right off the sandy beach all day and night.
    Once had an issue with parking as there was a wedding on site and most of the spots in the garage were taken up when we returned from an afternoon visit to the nearby Reagan Museum. But since that's my only (and fairly trivial) complaint you'll understand why we like to return here as often as our points permit.
    Just south of the hotel is the Channel Islands Harbor - you can't go wrong taking one of the charters that go out to the Channel Islands. If you have your sea legs this is a great day trip.
    If you have never been to Southern California and are looking for quality beach time you need to investigate the weather conditions for your travel dates ahead of time. The weather down there can be surprisingly un-beach-like at some points of the year - even when you might be expecting hot and sunny. If you are not aware it can ruin your plans for swimming in the ocean, etc. So be sure to plan ahead.

Philphactor likes this.
  9. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    it's not a hilton, but the ritz at Key Biscayne is very nice with a great beach.

10. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This looks like a great location. Any idea what type of benefit I'll gets as a gold?

11. We've enjoyed the Hilton on Hilton Head in the past. Nice oversized rooms, w pools, and discounted golf.

2soonold likes this.
  12. polar_bear
    Original Member

polar_bear Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure. As a Diamond we had free internet and they gave us 2 breakfast coupons each day on an award stay. We didn't receive any upgrade.