Fastest way to marriott points?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Dec 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a specific card that is best for Marriott points for spend NOT at hotels like hilton has 3x points for drugstores for some of their cards...I have marriott, sapphire etc...Is there any way to accumulate marriott points at better than a 1:1 ratio?

satman40, daninstl and uggboy like this.
  2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rental cars and restaurants for your Marriott card will earn 2x.

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have any Marriott branded CC's, but how about staying with them and show some loyalty, but then, I might be a bit old-fashioned in this regard. :)

satman40, vickers, adrianors and 2 others like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase Sapphire rewards transfer to Marriott at 1:1 with some 2x opportunities but I'd think they are more valuable as airline miles. I think the Marriott card would be your best bet for the sign up bonus and then to a reward card of some type. It really depends on how you shop (like through portals) and where you shop (gas, drugstores, etc.). I agree with staying at Marriott to build your balance but I assume you already do that.

satman40 and flyforawg like this.
  5. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Big current sign up bonus of 140,000 for the Chase Ritz card, which can be applied to your Marriott rewards account. Big annual fee, but lots of offsetting benefits. It's a judgment call.

satman40 and flyforawg like this.
  6. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ya sure wife and I already applied for the 140 :) I'm trying to get like 1000,000 points so trying to figure out the fastest way to get it...

satman40 likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing "old-fashioned" about it. It is a sound concept and my ONLY reason for having co-branded cards (I do not get them just for the sign up bonus and then cancel). The biggest bang for the buck that can ever be had with a co-branded CC is to use it for purchases associated with the "brand." For nearly every type of spend at a Marriott property, the Rewards CC would earn you 5 points/$, which is by far "the fastest way to Marriott points"...;)

uggboy likes this.
  8. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that a typo, as in you meant 100k or did you just neglect a comma and you're looking for 1 million points?

Ink earns 5x UR on certain categories but I suspect you already knew that.

9. jlien26

jlien26 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have been loyal to Marriott in the past, but to get points with them the best way is to either get in on some large credit card sign up bonus or get multiple cards. Currently there is a 140k Ritz Carlton card out there that works and I haven't tried it yet, but I bet you could get a personal one and a business one. That is 280k and then there are 3 seperate Marriott cards you could also get. They are all Chase products and I think they'll limit you at 3 or 4 cards. If you have status with them there is a 70k marriott card with no fee the first yet too.

satman40 likes this.
  10. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A Marriott card and staying at a Marriott has helped me gather a little over a Million points myself in the last 3 years. I do stay in a lot of Marriotts though. I also run everything through the Marriott card, including mortgage. But, if you don't travel, then you are in quite a different group. Then I would just try to run everything through it, and you should still pick up 7-10,000 points a month if used exclusively. It's definitely enough that before I was traveling a lot, I could squeeze a vacation rewards about every 18 months. Not the St Pancreas or the Ritz, but a vacation is a vacation!