Fastest car rental at ORD?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by LarryInNYC, Jul 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to make a one-day trip to Chicago for tomorrow, arriving 10am, departing 7:30pm, for which I will need to rent a car. I would like the most expedited possible rental experience, especially at the drop-off, when I will probably be pressed for time.

I am not currently a member of any rental programs, but would be happy to join today.

What is my best option for fastest possible pick-up and, more importantly, drop-off at ORD. If it makes a difference I'm arriving on a regional Delta flight from JFK.

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think regardless of which company you use, you still need to head outside and wait for the shuttle, which will take you to the rental area near remote parking.

I would imagine you're just trying to find a company that you can walk in and grab your car, then drop it off and keep it moving, so I think that leaves you with the choice of Avis or Hertz. And since you don't have status, I think (and I could be very very wrong) that you can sign up for Hertz Gold (should still be free) and make use of their expedited service.

3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    viguera, why did you exclude other brands from the options? Why not National with Emerald Aisle or Budget with Fastbreak?

While that could help by already having the customer profile complete, it will almost certainly still be necessary to check in at the counter to present the credit card in person for the first rental. You might could avoid this by presenting your card at another Hertz location today.

Alternate answer for what I wish the thread title was about:
    For Hertz's fastest cars, check out their Adrenaline Collection. :D

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the pick-up side of things you're basically hosed as you're going to have to deal with an agent and getting everything processed, even if you've got one of the elite status levels with a program, as this would seem to be your first rental. IME they always need to verify the DL and CC for those.

On the return side my experience has been that Avis and Hertz are somewhat more willing to have the customer leave the keys and dash off versus National or Enterprise who want to do a full inspection of the car with the customer. Just my experiences there.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that may be accurate for Enterprise but isn't really for National. National seems to be doing a decent job of remaining the opposite of Enterprise, even following their acquisition. National actually explicitly advertises and promotes the combination of e-receipts and "drop and go" at most major locations, including ORD (most of their shuttle buses have poster advertisements for this, even), and much of the time have a receipt printed and handed to you in the time it takes to pull up and get a bag out of the trunk anyway. I've never seen any sort of push for any sort of "full inspection" with the customer.

On the original topic, I can't see how you could get any more efficient than the typical National experience. Grab a car and go, with no need to track down a preassigned car that may or may not be of your liking. On return, drop and go, and have an e-receipt in your inbox before you make it out of the parking lot.

Whoever you go with you will need to visit the counter for this first rental to get set up in their system, unfortunately, so you're kind of screwed to start.

Just be sure to avoid Enterprise.

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it took me 55 minutes to get the rental from Budget this morning notwithstanding that I prepaid on line when I made the reservation. Prices at ORD were outrageous (starting at $100 economy), but Budget discounted so I went with them.

Not sure whether they were having a systems problem or not, but they were certainly backed up with getting cars ready. It was a 40 minute wait just to see someone at the counter and then 15 minutes more before they got a car out for me (true, they probably had to unpack it because it had 4 miles on it when I got it).

Here's to hoping the drop-off (which is the tight part of my day -- I had two hours to spare in the morning) goes better.