Fast food: Hotel room service speeds up

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, Jan 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Do you use room-service in hotels?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2012.
  1. YES

15.4%
  2. NO

23.1%
  3. RARELY

53.8%
  4. WOULD MORE OFTEN WHEN QUALITY IS OUTSTANDING AND DELIVERY IS FAST!

11.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some hotels are starting to deliver room service like Domino's delivers pizza: fast, and sometimes free if it isn't.
    Fast food: Hotel room service speeds up:)

MORE: http://www.usatoday.com/money/indus...-food-Hotel-room-service-speeds-up/52456380/1

nime01, N965VJ, cennas and 6 others like this.
  2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice concept, however I would prefer eating in the restaurant at the nice table. Unless of course I am in a nice suite and they would come up and also serve my food :D

nime01, N965VJ and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They seem to think that everyone now wants " instant food " and the service aspect or the " memorability " is not that important anymore. Sad somehow, as you said a great restaurant would be memorable and of course when booking a special category room eg. suites, here it is important to take time and savour fine in-room dinning and get the service without the rush.:)

nime01, N965VJ and cennas like this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is very common in US to be in a rush, however nobody knows why does he/she have to rush :confused: It used to be whenever you go to the restaurant, you go there and enjoy your meal. Had such experiment on my recent trip to Uruguay and Argentina. Took us over 3 hours to have a dinner and 2 hours for a lunch :)

nime01, mailbroad, N965VJ and 2 others like this.
  5. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    yea... my parents LOVE dining (beginning to end) within 60 mins...

6. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    This assumes that the hotel offers food and service worth savoring, and that you are eating at a time when you want the pomp and circumstance. Personally, I usually order room service when I am arriving late off a flight and don't have the energy to do a sit-down meal. If I want a memorable meal, I'll go to a memorable restaurant, which is only occasionally at a hotel, much less the one I am staying at. If I'm starving and tired, I'll take fast and easy.

There is a time and a place for everything, and I suspect that faster room service serves the needs of the majority of those that are ordering it.

7. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't know about you, but I usually know why I am in a rush.

And my experience is that Americans are not alone in fast meals. Meals in Asia are often much, much shorter than meals in the US. Perhaps it is less that Americans eat quickly, and more that some Europeans and Latin Americans eat very slowly?

8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ordered room service last night at the Grand Hyatt Singapore and the food arrived in less than 30 minutes and quality was high :)

nime01, N965VJ, lwkatya and 1 other person like this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly at any four seasons, they would serve a room service meal in your room in courses at whatever pace you would like. Suite or run-of-the-house room.

nime01, N965VJ, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really welcome this program from FS. There are two times when it is very handy...if you've just arrived at the hotel...late after a flight and want to eat, but don't want to wait a long time and want something simple...or if your kids are all of a sudden very hungry and you have plans to eat in.

Menu items on the 15 minute menu at Hualalai were pretty limited, but included things like grilled cheese, fruit plates and other relatively simple items.

Remember, this is just an option...not an obligation. If you'd rather have a traditional room service meal, that is also available. Just like the fee to hold a fare on AA...it is just another option...if you don't like it, don't use it...

11. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like room service for breakfast - you wake up, decide what you want, put the order in, hop in the shower, and when you're done the food is ready for you. However, the reason why i don't do it too often is that room service breakfast is usually overpriced, or the hotel gives complementary breakfast for sit-down but not room service (hilton)

12. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess a lot of savvy hotel Food & Beverage managers are paying attention to the deliveries coming in, and the profits going out. I prefer to eat in my room, but am not going to pay the inflated room service charges. Somehow I don't think the hotels are going to be offering any more value than what I can have delivered.

uggboy and nime01 like this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In some hotels it's convenient and perfectly acceptable to buy your own fast food and bring it up to your room. Sometimes the hotel is connected to a shopping mall with food outlets or even a good gourmet grocery store with lots of take out choices. However, I would never do this in an upscale property or someplace that I know forbids the practice, nor would I bring smelly or especially messy food into a hotel. When the room service or restaurant suggestions section of the hotel information gives phone numbers for pizza places that deliver, you know it's OK. It's also clearly OK in an extended stay hotel.

uggboy, N965VJ and nime01 like this.
  14. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you ever need to stay in a city that has a hotel run as part of an academic hospitality program (I encounter two in my travels), the room service meal can be cheaper than eating in the restaurant to ensure that facet of service is covered well. My most common example would be the Holiday Inn at the University of Memphis, where a full in-room breakfast was running $8 and delivered precisely when asked ;).

If I'm somewhere new with no known options, I don't use room service because of the combination of cost and time. If the delay is removed, the financial cost could be a bit higher, as I can continue to work in suite.

uggboy, N965VJ and nime01 like this.
  15. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blasphemy!!! room service while in Singapore:eek:

uggboy and cennas like this.
  16. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my defence:

1) there was a torrential rain outside
    2) I was too drunk to venture out as the club staff was a little too efficient in topping up my drinks
    3) I ordered Satay and Laksa from the Straits Kitchen which I'm sure you'll agree that they are almost as good as the real thing on the street :)

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  17. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed!

cennas likes this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    no doubt, the Straits Kitchen is wonderful !!

cennas and uggboy like this.