Fascinating stats on Mileage Plan via Alaska investor presentation

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by MileCards, Nov 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great post - lots of really interesting details here. Glad they are cozying up to American after the way Delta screwed then.

3. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    That was a very interesting read, thanks for posting. Their mileage devaluation was modest and quite reasonable. It seems like they take their customer opinions and loyalty very seriously.

I have to say I would be very happy to see not only a stronger AA/AS relationship but also for AS to grow on their own. I think they are a great airline with incredibly consistent on time performance, good service, and quite possibly the friendliest employees I've ever come across. Hard to believe that half the population of a state (even if it is our least populous) belongs to their FF program.

Golfingboy and redtailshark like this.
  4. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with 99% of what is in there, but I don't think most of their flights have 16 first class seats. Only the 737-800/900s have 4 rows of 2-2 first class, the rest have 3. Overall it's semantics really, but I hope my upgrade chances don't shrink too much. :)

5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of the AS fleet (with any F seats) is 800s/900/900ERs. There are quite a few less 400s and 700s overall and they are on mostly short haul west coast network and being phased out over time though I did just have a 700 to DFW.

6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    AS is the best of the US carriers. It's unfortunate that they don't have the global reach of the bad guys. Or even some serious widebody hardware. Not yet anyway... good news that they're going to walk away from Jeff Robbo and that awful codeshare FFP, DL SM. AA is more AAdvantageous.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    Golfingboy and ballardFlyer like this.
  7. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rest assured they do, I know for a fact there are several key players in the customer facing arena that monitors the AS forum on TOBB regularly. A few might monitor MilePoint as well, especially The Missy.

AS also hosts Gold Luncheons, and I have been to one many moons ago [they arranged an interpreter for me which was awesome]. They are very liberal at sharing things that are going on behind the scene that they don't really share publicly. Heck, you could even talk to the person who is responsible for AS's route network and you could sell why you think a route would work. Occasionally it works, I kid you not :) They geninuely do enjoy listening what people outside of the Box has to suggest, share, or recommend. It is clever that AS uses this as one of their strategies to help them think outside of the box.

The figure I find most fascinating is the redemptions. As you can see here, AS is more open to sharing stuff, look at UA's presentation - everything is vague really. Outsourcing? Who, where and for what type of work? $XXX million from productivity and efficiency enhancements, what is the breakdown? Very vague, and has me worried somewhat.