FAs reject contract offer

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by canucklehead, Aug 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://business.financialpost.com/2011/08/27/air-canada-flight-attendants-reject-labour-deal/
    snippets -
    The Air Canada Component of CUPE said 88% the flight attendants who cast a ballot voted against the deal, with 79% of those eligible to vote doing so.
    The union said it will now meet with its members in Toronto, Montreal Calgary and Vancouver, and will conduct a strike vote between Sept. 4 and 13.
    If the flight attendants give a strike mandate,they could walk off the job after serving the airline 72 hours notice.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they strike, would other unions strike too or stage slowdowns, sickouts, and work-to-rule actions? I'm asking especially since SMD3 will be flying through Canadian airports --actually just one, but twice--during this period.

3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those on MegaDo3 should be fine as this only relates to Air Canada FAs and we will be on a UA/CO charter.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    exactly, no need to worry about things that will not happen.

5. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe MSPeconomist was inquiring whether there is a possibility airport operations will be affected through other unions staging solidarity actions. For example, ground operations, baggage handling or (horrors, horrors) MLL operations at Canadian airports.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    They can't strike until after the strike vote is counted after the 13th, so SMD3 is not jeopardized by any sympathy walkouts, picket lines or the like.

7. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless we are doing a post DO MR

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. I understand perfectly well that our charter is operated by CO/UA, not with AC FAs, but frequently other unions stage various labor actions to sympathize with a union that is striking or wants to strike. I've seen some serious travel disruptions even while flying on a carrier other than the one of the strike. In addition, sometimes an airline will contract out certain airport services to another airline, frequently an alliance partner, especially when a partner has a hub or base at the airport. In this case, I don't know how large the CO/UA operations are at Montreal, but if they don't do everything there with their own staff, contracts to use AC employees for certain functions would be a good bet.

legalalien and milchap like this.