FAs on Flights W/ Stops

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by EyeOnTheSkies, Jul 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    One flights such as IAH-DME-SIN and SFO-HKG-SIN, does the F + C cabin get the same FA all the way through or do they swap them out midway?

2. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    They swap them out midway.

3. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The entire crew changes on these flights.

4. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a change with the cockpit crews as well in addition to the cabin crews.

5. EyeOnTheSkies

Status Points:
    Good to know. Do FAs move around on the segments? For example, if one is SIN based, would you ever see them on ICN-SFO or BCN-GRU, for example or only on the ex-SIN segment?

6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spoke with an FA on my SIN-NRT-LAX flight over the weekend and she said that they fly the entire route but with couple days rest at each stopover city. Her sched was SIN-NRT, 2 days, NRT-LAX, 3 days, then back to SIN.

That particular FA said she's trained for A380 and A345, so often finds herself on NRT/LAX and FRA/JFK route since both allow her to do A345 the other way.

desamo likes this.
  7. EyeOnTheSkies

Status Points:
    That's an interesting and very efficient move on SQ's part. Makes a lot more sense than ANZ's dedicated base in LHR that only flies to non NZ destinations. Not sure if you know, but are FAs usually trained on only Airbii or only Boeings or are there a bunch out there with both 380 and 773 training?

8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many cross-trained FAs. It's allowed up to 3 aircraft. Since SQ fly only B777, A345, A330, and A380, many FAs are trained across Airbus and Boeing.

B777/A330/A380 seems like it'd be very common.

ANZ are in a unique position where they operate a psuedo-RTW route AKL-HKG-LHR-LAX-AKL, so an LHR base makes sense.

9. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    If i understand SQ runs a "rotating roster" where they would do one or two long hauls a month followed by medium and short hauls........ This is different from North American airliners where staff choose and pick their work (ie. seniority bidding).

Long haul flights, they do a step back in the intermediate.....

If I recall it something to the effect of.... SIN-Intermediate (1 day)-End of Route (2 days)-Intermediate (1 day)-SIN.

I believe if its long.... like SIN-DME-IAH or SIN-BCN-GRU its 2 days in the intermediate stop.

10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering that SQ run wide bodies on short hauls, they can have this arrangement. Harder for airlines like UA that run A320s short haul and B777 long haul, and 757 and 767 and 747.

11. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    MH used to do LAX-TPE-KUL and they used the same system SQ does wherein there is a crew change at the stopover point. The crew there told me they got two days for the stopover. I know that the original crew communicated the identity of the passengers to the new crew after the stopover, because I was asked as I boarded if a book that had been in the overhead bin above my seat, was mine (it was my seat neighbor's who had changed to another flight). It was really nice and brought some continuity to the flight despite the crew change.

KLM also does this AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS,, the flight does a full turn without any extended stops outside of AMS, but there is a crew change at DAR, though JRO-AMS passengers are not required to get off.

12. SQuealer

SQuealer Silver Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK SQ do NOT have any crew that are trained in that combination.

A330 A345 B777
    or
    A330 A380 B77
    or
    A380 B777
    or
    A330 B777

ONLY

I'm sure you must have heard it wrongly :)

SQ LPP likes this.
  13. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. You beat me to it.
    A friend who is a A345 FA from the first flight, I think he doesn't do A380 now. Always LAX and EWR on A345.

SQuealer likes this.
  14. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    But I believe the do long haul 1-2 times per month followed by short-medium hauls?

15. SQuealer

SQuealer Silver Member

Status Points:
    They do all the hauls ;)
    It's a computer based (balanced) rostering programme that allocates their duties.

But you are mostly correct with regards to the ratio.

SQ LPP likes this.