Fares not matching OTAs

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by akcae, May 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can someone riddle me why the same exact flights Expedia prices out at say, $684 per person Delta.com can't give me for less than $865? :mad:

I can see the fare classes are different (V and K on expedia.com, R and L on dl.dumb) which explains the price difference. But if Expedia can sell me V and K, why can't Delta?

Grrr..

2. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are the routes and travel dates the same? Sometimes you need to look closely because Expedia will price the connecting flight as 22 or so hours after the first leg.

Expedia has quoted me lower prices previously, but required an excessively long layover (12+ hours and/or overnight connections). I think Expedia has wider selection criteria, in favor of cheaper tickets, as compared to DL.Dumb. :)

3. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same exact flights, same exact dates. Called DL and they could only suggest I book on delta.com then do a best fare guarantee claim, but I think it'll be denied, specifically because it's different fare classes.

4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've also seen Expedia show AF or KL flight numbers for DL-operated flights, which can impact price...granted, almost every itinerary I price is ex-Europe.

Also, try ITA Matrix Software (matrix.itasoftware.com) - I've had things match most of the time. :)

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    A: Because DL is [​IMG] best in class [​IMG]

A: Again, because DL is [​IMG] best in class [​IMG]

Don't take my word for it. Jeff told you so. He meant it....

akcae likes this.
  7. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've run into the inventory mismatch on some summer travels. Wound up booking using an OTA because DL's fares were hundreds more. ITA inventory was somewhere between what DL had and what the OTAs were offering, and EF was in another universe altogether. Fares are all published, so I'm not worried about mileage earning.

8. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    While waffling on this, the original fare was gone off ITA an Expedia. My first call to DL was useless (we have what we have, is essentially what they said). I found slightly different routing, still appx $200 less than DL showed and this time calling got a helpful agent. I fed her the flights and she priced it out at the same fare. The issue seems that the itin included AF's code-shares which aren't DL's and even tho they had AF flight numbers, she couldn't find them in the system under those. She was able to add them as "other carrier" with the operating airline's flight numbers (JU).

And bonus - the agent was able to combine all my VDB vouchers against my ticket and the leftover against my son's, so my out of pocket cost was less than one ticket. :)

I do wonder if those non-DL code shares will result in any mileage credit tho...