Fare structure for economy airlines (Southwest, jetblue)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by cotter77, Oct 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    is it safe to say that fares for southwest and jet blue generally only go up and therefore the concept of waiting for those fare revisions at the 2 week, 2 month mark from date of travel are not worth paying attention to?

it seems to me that the fares are released at a starting price and ONLY increase (unless the have some kind of "BIG SALE" which doesnt help me because I am always looking to fly at peak times that never get included in fare sales). waiting in the hopes of the fare decreasing will not work? this has been my experience. I have an award on SN and had to change to an earlier flight on same day...there was some net difference i had to pay because I waited a couple days hoping that the fare would come down to equal what i paid. it didnt, it went up so i had to pay a little extra for waiting.

just a different game with there airfare structure

2. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that with Southwest there are no change fees. If you book now, you can lock in the price. If the price drops, you can rebook at the lower price, then the difference will be credited to your account and can be applied toward future travel. It's not cash back in your pocket, but if you travel Southwest a lot it basically is.

3. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I generally purchase my southwest trips at two one-way reservations. This allows me to re-fare individual segments (via TTFs) without having to re-book the entire trip at the going rate. Of course, if both segments' prices drop...I re-ticket both :)

PointHoarder likes this.