"Fare no longer available"

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kw335, Aug 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe this is an ongoing/chronic issue with AA.com, but I was wondering whether any of yous were able to find a solution to it.

I was trying to build an MR via multi-city search. Found great city pairings with excellent fares. Problem is, most, if not all of the itineraries were not available. The infamous "the fare you selected is no longer available" error message comes up with all possible routing options.

I also occasionally encounter such error message with regular one-way or round-trip searches. Is there any way to get around it? Is it mostly IT glitch that makes it impossible to build 8+ segments (12 in my case) in one PNR/itinerary? Is it showing phantom availability?

This is annoying considering that I've been spending the past 2 hours trying to construct this epic MR :mad:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're right on. This happens all the time, especially when I search for flights to sju. When this happens fares on other sites are sometimes lower. I will usually go out on kayak and see what comes up and sometimes their link will force the fare through or I will go on Expedia and buy the ticket there. I'm really curious to see how others deal with this.

kw335 and uggboy like this.
  3. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny that this trip im working on also involves multiple "touch-and-go" at SJU
    :(

4. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmmm... that's really odd maybe they have a systems issue with SJU. You know... it's funny sometimes the "special fare" they advertize on their homepage for ABQ-SJU is often times higher than what I get once I search for the flight. Who knows what the problem is. This has been going on for several years now. For a while I always used to check on kayak and compare the fare quoted on Kayak to what I got on aa.com
    Have you tried searching on Kayak and linking from there to AA.com?

5. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not yet, though I have been playing around a bit with expedia this morning. The quoted fare was more expensive than the "phantom" fares on AA.com, so I wonder if it is indeed a phantom availability and the cheaper fare bucket has gone.

I will try Kayak today and see what happens. Any other tricks you have done in the past?

6. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate them... but try Orbitz. :rolleyes:

7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get this message when it seems like the fare is in the process of being pulled. It's almost as though the initial search is using cached information, but when you select a given fare, it actually re-queries the database -- and comes back as no longer available.

8. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, agree. I get this late in the day most often. Usually around midnight as I assume their direct pricing engine is flipping over to the next day. I do see it on SJU and things going through Miami a lot too.

9. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    But... the odd thing is that I don't get it on most routes... just the Caribbean trips... and it happens at any time of the day.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've had it show up on plenty of Asia and European flight options.

As for the message itself, it's been discussed ad nauseum for awhile on different FFer message boards. The common wisdom generally seems to imply that it's one of two issues.

1. A fare is gone and no longer available yet AA's interface hasn't "refreshed" to reflect that fare change.
    2. Your multi-city search is pulling individual fare information for segments that should be "married", so when you go to price the ticket it applies the correct fare rules and the price increases.

A good run down of the topic here on FT by brp: LINK.

anabolism likes this.
  11. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh. thanks for the reference. I do still wish they fixed this as it is obviously a glitch. If you're quoted a price and you're ready to buy, I think it should not change. In fact, isn't that illegal with the new regulations going into effect?

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's for someone else to decide, I try to avoid the whole legal vs illegal talk with regards to tickets/old miles, etc.

I do agree that an IT overhaul for AA would be nice to update systems and maybe modernize the look of AA.com. That's a pandora's box if I ever saw one though.

13. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    @juanefny- I've been able to force book flights via kayak; thanks to you. The nice thing is that it books directly on AA.com. Though now im curious as to why I couldn't do it on my own without the help of kayak.

aptraveler and Juanefny like this.
  14. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    @Juanefny

Just an update- as I wrote here, I was finally able to ticket the MR that I wanted, though it has to be ticketed under two separate PNRs.

I learned that "lucrative" routes (aka convoluted routes, such as HNL-LAX-MCO-MIA-SJU or something alike) are mostly phantom routes as the machine would not let me book them.

I wish AA would fix this, so I wouldn't be all hyped up with these routings, only to find out that they are non-existent.

Juanefny likes this.
  15. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually end up calling and sometimes the agent can find better fares or routes than I could anyway. Some EXP agents love challenges. (E.g., last December I was trying to find a MR for my partner to requalify, with the constraints that it needed to be enough EQM, cost as close to $1k or under as possible, and not take more than one day off work. The agent found such fares, and there was SWU upgrade space to boot!)