Fare Codes

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Seacarl, Mar 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    On most airlines and airline websites (e.g. UA, CO, DL), you can see the fare code of the flight you are buying and you also know what the upgrade priority is based on fare code. Often the rules are embedded into the fare code as well, including advance purchase, non-refundability.
    I haven't been able to figure out what fare category any given flight booking is, not on alaskaair.com nor on the Easybiz websites. Not by looking at the confirmation nor the Easybiz ticket report. Only when I get to on-line check-in, if I ask to print a receipt, then it shows the fare code.
    I think it would be useful and informative to know the fare codes. Does anyone know how to display them?
    As an example, I have a full flex ticket coming up, on a connection, though the fare is relatively low, and certainly lower than the one-way full flex fare on one of the segments. Am I actually booked into Y?

2. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    On AS there is no priority for upgrades based on fares, unless you are on an instant upgradeable fare... Everything else is based on status and time of ticketing....

Instant Upgradeable fares are:

Y and YAS for MVPs
    Y, S, B, M, and H for MVPGs+

I agree with you that it will be nice if they could display the fare basis I am booked in, because if I need to rebook my ticket it would a lot easier if I can search for availability in the fare class I am booked in to avoid having to pay the fare difference.

I don't know if AS simply treats all value fares the same, all bargain fares the same, etc? Let's say I am booked in T, will AS treat T the same as G for rebooking purposes?

3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that when we hit the 3-day mark, and Alaska starts upgrading MVPGs (and presumably the earlier deadline for 75Ks) that they do upgrade by fare catergory within the elite tier - so Y comes first, even if there hadn't previously been U inventory, and then whatever the order is. So even though the fare codes aren't visible, they are being used behind the scenes.
    For rebooking purposes, I don't think Alaska looks at the fare codes, they look at what you paid for the ticket and what the current cheapest fare is, and collect the difference. (Of course as a Gold, if the price is less, you should just cancel the ticket, deposit it in your wallet, and book a new ticket at the lower fare.)

4. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades are not ordered by fare class like they do on UA/CO/DL/etc...

Status
    Instant Upgrade Fare [Y for MVPs, H+ for Golds]
    Time of Ticketing

If a Gold is on a K fare, but booked at a later date than a Gold on a cheap G fare, the Gold on the G fare will be upgraded ahead of the Gold on the K fare... Fare basis means nothing for upgrades on AS unless it is an instant upgradeable fare.

Unless things changed in the past few months that I am unaware of :eek:

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I had no idea. I have to start booking my travel earlier.

6. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Time of ticketing is the biggie.

There is some suspicion that elites on instant-upgrade fares are indeed prioritized within the 3-day window above other fares, but for sure all of the other fare classes are lumped into one single upgrade bucket (well, one per elite tier) that is ordered solely by time of ticketing.