Fare codes

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jakem4800, Oct 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So as a usair member I don't know the answer to this but I'm hoping that you do!

On a recent flight I booked O class (discount economy)

I was on standby for an earlier flight and I got moved up to an earlier flight with a Y class booking code.. So does this mean if I was an AA member (which after the merger I will be anyways) I get elite qualifying 1.5 miles flown or still the .5?

It would be good to know for future reference because if it means more elite points then I'm in :)

2. GCarvalho

GCarvalho Active Member

Status Points:
    Probably not. They keep your original fare basis in the system.

3. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update- it showed up as a Y fare code on my usairways account, that could be a good thing.. Still not confirmation thou

4. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    To note: AA has (3) different ways of calculating progress toward elite status:

1. Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM). This is the one most people are familiar with. 25,000 EQM for Gold / 50,000 EQM for Platinum / 100,000 EQM for Executive Platinum

2. Elite Qualifying Poins (EQP) These are a multiplier of the base EQM earned, and are based on the underlying fare code. Deep discount economy tickets (Q, S, O, N, G for example) earn 0.5 EQP per EQM earned, economy tickets (V, M, K, for example) earn 1.0 EQP per EQM, and full fare economy (Y/B fares), along with business and first, earn 1.5 EQP per EQM.

Same as above: 25,000 EQP for Gold / 50,000 EQP for Platinum / 100,000 EQP for Executive Platinum

3. Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS): Earned based a single segment of "point A to point B," usually defined as a takeoff and landing with a single flight number (note, however, that if a direct flight has a stop in between with no change in plane (no change in flight number), AA's system will usually only count from the origin to destination and not factor the stop in between). 30 segments for Gold / 60 segments for Platinum / 100 segments for Executive Platinum

Now that that is out of the way, the OP asks if they would get 1.5 miles for Y fare (but then also uses the term points. For AA, the two terms do not mean the same thing). All AA fares earn 1.0 EQMiles, but differing EQPoints depending on the fare code.

There is a "class of service" bonus miles (25% for business and 50% for first class), but those are redeemable miles and do not count toward elite qualifying status.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  5. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply, so I think I get this now.. If you fly 1,706 miles on a flight you get 1,706 EQM which adds up to either the 25k, 50k, or 100k levels.

The fare code determines the point value? So if this is what I earned flying on a route I would end up with either 853, 1,706, or 2,559 that can be used toward redeeming award flights?

6. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Almost, but still not quite there yet.

For every Elite Qualifying Mile (EQM) you earn, you will earn either 50%, 100%, or 150% corresponding Elite Qualifying Points on AA marketed flights, based on the fare code. These are NOT redeemable miles... they are simply "progress" towards status.

At the same time, for every EQM you earn, you will also earn at least 1 redeemable mile (1:1). You earn more based on status (25% bonus for Gold, 100% bonus for Platinum/Executive Platinum) and/or based on purchasing a premium cabin fare (business/first). Note: unless IRROPS come into play, you earn based on your originally ticketed cabin. In other words, if you purchased discount economy, but then are later upgraded, you still earn bonuses based on the economy fare (but can still earn the elite bonus, for example)

Feel free to send a PM if you have additional questions.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    AAdam_flyer and flyforawg like this.