Fare class selection function doesn't work on web site

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by trobb49, Dec 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Somehow I was under the mistaken impression that the "Enter specific classes of service" function on the reservations page had been fixed, but it hasn't. I carefully entered "Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W" in order to make sure that I could upgrade my trans-Pacific segments using a Global Premier Upgrade, and the resulting itinerary assigned "L" for most of the segments.:(

Has anyone been successful using this feature? Is there any trick to getting this to work?

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the past when looking for a GPU-able fare, I've done the search just for W and the results included W fares and anything higher in order to make the trip price. It may be a case of providing more input than the search interface is designed to handle.

trobb49 likes this.
  3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Putting in just W works for me too. Also make sure that the proper radio button is selected...might still be on Lowest Fares instead of Specify.

trobb49 likes this.
  4. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I might have forgotten the radio button. Poor interface, though -- it should change when data is entered there! I entered "W" plus two other classes required for other segments "E" (going from MIA to SJO on a code share) and "H" from SJO to EWR and the whole thing came out with my desired results. Thanks again!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are 1K, you almost never need to burn an instrument on Copa. I don't know about Taca, but I think those are the only two code share partners that make sense out of MIA.

I live in SJO, and I usually opt for UA through IAH for the same or less money. It earns more miles, but the UG between IAH and SJO is tough most of the time. Now through April is the high season. Best bet is to fly Copa or just pay the difference, IME.