Fare Class for Star Alliance Upgrade on United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by yonajon, Feb 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yonajon
    Original Member

yonajon Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I am flying on a B-fare on UA (SFO-JFK, p.s. Service) and I would like to use my Continental miles to upgrade. Both the agent and the CO website indicate that the upgrade is not currently available, which I take to mean there is no inventory in the appropriate fare class. I'd like to use ExpertFlyer to alert me when inventory opens up, but after searching I couldn't figure out what fare class needs to be available on UA in order for me to be able to request the upgrade. Any tips?

2. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to upgrade on the P.S. first use EF to search for awards (business upgrade) on your flight and set an alert that way

Skyvillager likes this.
  3. yonajon
    Original Member

yonajon Active Member

Status Points:
    Got it - so: "Business - Upgrade [NC] (I)" is the right setting?

4. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Star Alliance upgrades come out of the award bucket for that class of service, just like you're booking an award seat.

So on UA, that's XC (internal) which maps to I (external, for other carriers to book). Keep in mind that UA's internal upgrade bucket (NC) is higher than this, so if there are any UA members waitlisted, they will likely clear before you.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. yonajon
    Original Member

yonajon Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys - very helpful. I have the alert set up on ExpertFlyer - hope something opens up :)

6. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :) wish you the best of luck

Skyvillager likes this.
  7. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    While this situation is not one I'm ever likley to encounter, it's a great example of the power of MP - sharing knowledge with and helping each other - simple but very useful and effective!

8. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Y:)u have to be patient with this. I tried a B-up using a *A award last month on CO. Despite the cabin starting off empty, they never opened up standard upgrade space before I blinked two weeks out and just used CO miles on a Platinum award (CO has extra availability for Platinums) before the whole cabin filled. G:cool::cool:d luck! (I'd wanted to use my UA miles because the *A award required fewer miles than the CO award.)

9. yonajon
    Original Member

yonajon Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm not particularly hopeful. p.s. flights with their awesome business class cabin typically sell out. What's worse is that with the *A upgrade, there's no waitlist, and it's only possible up to 24 hours in advance. I'll likely be in back.

10. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    They typically fill up, but they don't typically sell out. It's a relatively easy upgrade for UA members who can waitlist. Your issue is that you cannot waitlist, so the minute something opens up, UA members will start clearing.

11. yonajon
    Original Member

yonajon Active Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully I'm at my computer when ExpertFlyer alerts me [​IMG]