FAQ: is it better to check in for flights online or at the airport?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Mar 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Telegraph: FAQ: is it better to check in for flights online or at the airport?

What are your thoughts on OLCI or airport check in?

The article mentions Ryanair's requirement...print at home or pay a hefty fee at the airport, Easyjet's lack of a fee, and some of the risks of not having paperwork to back up a smartphone check in...

Definitely something to keep in mind....

:)

wrxmom, cennas and Blue Skye like this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always check in at home (or at my hotel) -- if I'm upgraded, I have a chance to get a better seat.

At the airport, it's one less thing I have to do and one less line to stand in.

DTWBOB

cliq and rwoman like this.
  3. DHalltheway

DHalltheway Active Member

Status Points:
    depends really.

even if I do online check in, for certain airlines at certain airports I still need to check in again at airports. So it makes online check in pointless.

rwoman likes this.
  4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always check in at the airport since I collect bp stubs. Besides, most of the time I can choose my seat when booking the flight anyway and also I will still need to stand in line to drop the bags off, etc even when I check in online.

rwoman likes this.
  5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always do at home if I can't, but lately I've been wondering why I bother. I suppose if you're worried about being late, it helps, but you could always do it from a smartphone in the car on the way.

rwoman likes this.
  6. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doing OLCI has given me a heads up when an airline is having computer trouble or an issue with my reservation. If I couldn't check in online, I know then I need to call or go to the airport early.

IDGflygirl and rwoman like this.
  7. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    OLCI always unless I'm flying international and they want to confirm I have a visa for my destination.

rwoman likes this.
  8. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can always have them reprint your boarding pass if you've done OLCI. :)

LizzyDragon84, Valentine and rwoman like this.
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always online - one less thing to need to do at the airport, and protection against arriving just inside of checkin time.

rwoman likes this.
  10. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always check in online where possible and then go to the airport to get my boarding pass printed (I'm a boarding pass stub collector too). I've had too many close calls with almost missing the baggage drop, and only making it because of having done OLCI.

In fact, not being able to check in online possibly hints at some problem with your ticket/reservation, as I've had one such incident before when one airline refused to let me check in at the airport because of some travel agent payment issues.

rwoman likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to sometimes do OLCI depending on my schedule and whether I planned to check a bag or knew I needed to show my passport. However, since the NW/DL merger, I try hard to always do OLCI even if it will not save time at the airport. I've learned that it's better to discover early that there may be a problem with a ticket than to try to solve it at the last minute.

LizzyDragon84 and rwoman like this.
  12. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    If at all possible, I OLCI then request a reprint of BP at the airport. Sometimes I OLCI on my cell phone so I have to line up for BPs, but it helps that once you're checked in you can show up a little late and still get your BP.