FAQ: How to eUpgrade on Air Canada

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by janyyc, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a FAQ about eUpgrades only. I will set up a complete upgrade FAQ soon.

Please remember to like this post! ;)

[please help me with the items in these brackets]

What is an eUpgrade?
    - Air Canada rewards it's Top Tier members with eUpgrade credits. Depending on the status you attain and the privileges you choose, the number of credits you have will vary. However, the number of eUpgrade credits required for an upgrade never changes based on status.

What are the rules for an eUpgrade?
    - on Tango Plus fares, Super Elites can upgrade up to 7 days in advance, Elites up to 4 days, Prestige members up to 2 days. Space-permitting.
    - on Latitude fares, all status members can upgrade the day of purchase, space permitting.
    - you can upgrade a traveling companion that is on the same reservation file as you (ie flies on the same flight as you)
    - you can also nominate people to upgrade even if they fly without you, the nominations are fixed (once chosen, the people can't be changed until the next status year). The number of nominees you can have varies by status, [please help here!]
    - eUpgrades are only valid for travel on Air Canada (and affiliate Jazz), not Star Alliance members or codeshare partners

When can I upgrade?
    - on Tango Plus fares, Super Elites can upgrade up to 7 days in advance, Elites up to 4 days, Prestige members up to 2 days. Space-permitting.
    - on Latitude fares, all status members can upgrade the day of purchase, space permitting.

How do I know if there's upgrade space?
    - Air Canada upgrades come out of 'R' inventory for instant upgrades, aerolotto is played at the gate for remaining J seats, based on status, fare class, and time of booking

Please see the below acted example:

Let's take a typical YYZ-FRA flight.

Super Elite names start with an S, Elite with an E, Prestige with a P.

Patrick likes to book flights early. So he books his Latitude ticket 6 months in advance. R-space or this flight is showing 9, J is also 9. {Note: 9 is maximum that can be displayed, actual availability possibly more} He requests his upgrade online immediately. R is now 8, J remains at 9.

Steph now books her flight. She buys a regular Tango plus ticket. She can't upgrade now, she needs to wait until 7 days before her flight.

Elvis now books his flight. He buys a Latitude ticket, it's now 2 months out. He upgrades immediately. R is at 7, because J is at 8.

A large group traveling for a conference purchases 5 J tickets. AC management sees that 3 J seats are available, and cuts R down to 0.

Joe Kickass now buys his flight. It's two weeks before the flight. He has to wait for 7 days to arrive. He yells at his secretary, but nothing comes of it.

Now Emily buys her flight. She purchases an expensive M fare because it's the only one available. Therefore she can use less eUpgrade credits, but she has to wait until 4 days before the flight.

7 days before flight

One person has cancelled their J ticket, so there's 4 J seats available. Also, 1 R space seat has been opened.

Steph calls for her eUpgrade. She's upgraded instantly and selects her seat. R is back to 0, J is 3.

Joe Kickass' secretary forgets to call.

4 days before the flight

Elisa has a last-minute business meeting in Frankfurt. She books the flight in a full Latitude fare, and both she and Emily call in to upgrade now. There were no R seats available, so they are both put on the waitlist. However, Elisa has priority because of her full-fare ticket. J is still 3.

2 days before flight

Joe Kickass asks his secretary in passing if she called Air Canada. After some yelling and physical abuse, the secretary calls and requests the upgrade. Joe is now the highest on the waitlist.

The conference is cancelled. So suddenly 5 J seats open up (J is at 8). Air Canada upgrades Joe first, and then Elisa. Emily is still on the waitlist. J is at 6.

Elton buys a ticket. It's booked into Latitude. He calls to request the upgrade and is put on the waitlist.

2 people buy J tickets. J is now at 4.

24 hours before flight

Emily checks-in online and requests her upgrade. Elton does the same. R is completely irrelevant now.

At the airport

Agents at the gate see that the flight is oversold by 3 seats in Economy. Because of some last-minute at-the-airport changes, J is now at 3.

Emily and Elton go to the gate and get their upgrades. J is at 1.

There is a delayed flight, and 2 people misconnect. One was in J, one was in Y. J is at 2, economy is now only oversold by 2.

The gate agents look at the manifest and notice that there's 1 Elite (Joe Kickass' wife!) and a few Prestiges in the back.

She upgrades the Elite first (without taking any credits, a so-called op-up), then sees that one Prestige is traveling on a Latitude ticket, so she upgrades him.

So there you have it!

Please let me know if there are any corrections/additions I should make, please keep in mind I wrote this on a boring UA CRJ flight on my iPhone. :rolleyes:

Cheers! ;) :)

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea Jan - thanks for doing this. How do you see this interacting with the thread eUpgrade Discussion Thread?
    Just want MPers to know where to go for what sort of thing.

3. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe we could leave that thread to discussion about the posting/errors/bad stuff/good stuff of eUpgrades and this one for the newbies? ;)

ACMM likes this.
  4. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent thread but would this not be better as a wiki?

5. Tax Dude
    Original Member

Tax Dude Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent start. I agree with the wiki idea too - much more useful for ongoing reference. And although Joe Kickass is a much-referenced name around here, it doesn't fit into your P,S,E naming convention so should probably be changed to clarify things - it is a FAQ after all.

6. zorn
    Original Member

zorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey! Get your own sense of humour! [​IMG]

c_9 likes this.
  7. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great job and thanks for putting this together!

8. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    How often does AC offer paid upgrades at check-in/at gate? Any idea of prices? (As 1K's on UA, we're not looking forward to YVR-LHR in coach...we did pay extra for bulkhead.

9. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Per http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/upgrades/eupgrades/share.html
    SE has 4 nominees, Es get 2, Ps get 1

My feeling is that LMU (last minute upgrades) have a higher chance of being offered if there are many empty J seats ... probably the chance is even higher if there are few available seats left in Y -- as an airline, you'd rather people pay for an upgrade than doing free op-ups right?

Do you know what dates you're flying? Maybe someone can post the fare bucket availabilities and you can use that information to make an educated guess of your chances. For me, I know that LMUs have been offered at online check-in and at the check-in kiosks.

10. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As soon as they turn on the wikis for the AC forum ...

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes - thanks for clarifying in another thread ... I did not know it was only on three forums at this time,

13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes it will -- having worked on and working on wikis in my current job I know how useful they can be and the advantage of allowing anyone to edit makes it good to share information and knowledge, and corrections :)

I am sure as soon as it rolls out further we can take advantage of it here and I hope many will contribute and assist :)

14. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    They only offer if R is greater than 0 at time of checkin. As this is the same inventory that advance upgrades are pulled from, it is somewhat rare on popular routes. You can get an idea by watching R inventory on similar flights close to day of departure. If you have two people on the same PNR it likely won't offer is R is less than 2. Split the file if you would be willing to split up.

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    janyyc this is a really great and helpful thread. A couple of points you forgot to mention:
    1) Calling from a different time zone can give you a jump on upgrades
    2) Joe Kickass beats not only his secretary but also his dog

16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Different time zone no longer makes a difference -- eUpgrades can be requested 4x24h or 7x24h before the departure time, so the time zone drops out of the equation.

janyyc likes this.
  17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

18. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was thinking!
    (BTW, I'm back after a week of no MP/FT :eek:)

flying-gal and tomh009 like this.
  19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You survived! :)

20. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed! I think the only reason I did was because I was planning a combined RTW on AP and a Micronesia Island Hopper visit! :p

21. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    You were missed... [​IMG]

22. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I just found this out the hard way... waited up last night for a 7-day advance T+ upgrade and it didn't work until exactly 7*24hrs before the flight departure time, which was 10 minutes ago...

23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you do it online? System working well (by AC IT standards at least)? I have a NRT-YYZ upgrade to request, and the 7x24h moment comes up at 5:10 AM on Friday. :rolleyes:

24. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is good to know for my SYD->YVR upcoming return ... as I will be in YVR at the time but with the 15+ hour difference it may work out just fine ;)

25. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the moment, I think the SYD-YVR time difference is only 5h, if my math is right (NRT-YVR is 7h as of now).