FAQ: Delta Economy Comfort

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, Nov 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I know many of us have had the chance to utilize the Economy Comfort section on EC equipped flights. I figured this could serve as a consolidated thread on MP, especially as people come to the forum looking for answers. I've put the a/c I am familiar with below and will happily update information I do not have based on others' input. For now, I'll leave it with the international equipped a/c and the thread can be updated with domestic information once the program is rolled out.

Thanks!
    :)robin

Delta's site discussing: Economy Comfort

Economy Comfort:
    NOTE:
    1. The bulkhead seats often have a significant amount leg room (other than the 764). These are narrower as the tray table and/or IFE unit are in the arm rests. The arm rests do not move which, coupled with a smaller seat, can be uncomfortable for larger pax.

2. The first row of regular economy seating after EC IS NOT recommended. The last row of EC has the EC recline and members have reported that there's no extra space between this row and the first row of regular Y.

Seat Selection: EC seat selections can be made AFTER completing booking for award and revenue tickets.

INTERNATIONAL:

747 - International:
    Rows 22-26
    Legroom: Row 22 ABC/HJK and 24 DEFG are the bulkhead seats. 22C/H are noted as having unlimited legroom and some have noted that people can congregate due to the proximity of the lavatories, which are located directly in front of the first row of EC on the 744. 22ABC have recently received poor reviews because of the lav and galley - people tend to congregate in this area and it can become stinky. Comments on 22K indicate that pax can access the aisle without disturbing other passengers. Also, the lavatory near 22HJK is blocked for BusinessElite pax, so there tends to be fewer disturbances and become less smelly over the course of a long flight. Some might prefer the legroom of row 35/51 on the 744 with less recline and tray in armrest.

IFE: As of 4 Oct 2012, 13 of 16 744s completed modifications and have AVOD; 2 are being modified; 1 remains unmodified

777 - International:
    Rows 31-34
    Legroom: Row 31 seats are the bulkhead seats and have plenty of leg room. Rows 32-34 are standard EC seats with USB and plug power. Row 44 (exit row) has excellent legroom, but no power outlets. The window seat sin this row are narrower because the tray table is in the armrest does not move up. The recline is standard recline.
    IFE: These a/c are equipped with IFE at each seat.

A330-200 - International:
    EC is in rows 10-13. Row 11 has moveable armrests.
    Legroom: Row 10 and row 11 C/G have ample legroom. Entertainment boxes under the C, D and J seats impede leg room.

A330-300 - International:
    EC is in rows 10-13. Row 11 has moveable armrests.
    Legroom: Row 10 is the bulkhead row and has ample legroom. The rest of the EC seats are standard. Entertainment boxes under the C, D and J seats impede leg room.

767-300ER/76G - International:
    The headrests on the non-refurbished 763's do not have winged headrests.
    EC: Non-updated 763 - rows 16-21; 76G - rows 14-19. EC on the updated 763's is in rows 17-21 (76L/U/T) or rows 13-16 (76N/Z).

Legroom: The bulkhead EC seats (row 14 15, 16, or 17 - depends on which 763 variant) have tons of legroom - enough that the window seat passenger can get up without disturbing the person in the aisle seat. The bulkhead seats do not have moveable arm rests. On the modified 763, the leg room is not as good as it was prior to modification.

On some of the 763's (not sure if it's all types), there is a lavatory for Y passengers on the AB side. Passengers waiting to use the lav can congregate in the open area by the bulkheads. In some instances, passengers use the space in front of the CDE bulkhead seats to move to the other aisle.

IFE: On aircraft equipped with overhead movie screens, there is a screen on each bulkhead wall - in front of seats A-B, C-D-E, and F-G. In seat IFE will appear as the 763's get modified interiors, which is slowly rolling out.

767-400ER - International:
    Rows 15-18
    Legroom: On the 764, the bulkhead seats (row 15) have less leg room than the 763's; there's probably about 2' or so between the edge of the seat and the wall. The bulkhead seats do not have moveable arm rests and the tray table/IFE monitor are in the arm rests. In my experience, I felt like the A332/333 and 763's had better recline in EC than the 764.

Note: The overhead bins above 16 CDE have emergency equipment in them and cannot be used for stowage of luggage.

757-200 (BusinessElite Equipped) - International/Transcon (JFK-SFO/LAX effective 1 December 2011):
    Version 1: Rows 19-22; Seats A-B-C only; Version 2: Row 16-18 ABC-DEF; NOTE: There is a slide on the exit row door in front of 19A that can impede legroom.
    Legroom: Rows 19 and 16 are the bulkhead seats.
    IFE: 75Es (ex-TWA, "version 1") have AVOD at each seat. 75As (ex-NW, "version 2") have overhead video in coach.

Version 2 (75A): 18 EC Seats - Row 16-18 ABC-DEF - dl.com seat map
    Legroom: Rows 19 and 16 are the bulkhead seats.
    IFE: All Y seats have AVOD with complimentary movies and other programming.

DOMESTIC:
    **Please see above for internationally configured 752's. Domestic 757's are referenced below.

CRJ-700's
    Rows 4 & 5

CRJ-900's
    Rows 5, 6, and 7

DC-9 - Domestic
    DC9-50's with no row 5 have EC.
    Seat 6E is the bulkhead/aisle seat on the starboard side of the plane. and behind the F cabin. Bags can be stowed under the last row of F. Seat 7D has "unlimited" legroom.
    NOTE: While dl.com may show seat 6D, there is no seat there.

MD-88 - Domestic
    Seats: Rows 10-12

MD-90 - Domestic
    Seats: Rows 10-12; there is a soft wall in front of row 10. 10C is not necessarily recommended due to the aisle shift between the F and Y cabins. Reviews of room for row 13, the first regular row of Y, have been acceptable.

A319 - Domestic
    Seats: First three rows

A320 - Domestic
    Seats: First three rows

757's - Domestic: Seats: Varies based on type of 757.
    Please see above for internationally configured 752's. Domestic 757's are referenced below.

752 Version 1: The 21 EC seats are 19-22 on the right side and 21-23 on the left side. The left side row 21 basically starts between rows 20 and 21 on the right hand side. Row 23 EC on the left hand side is right between the last row of EC on the right hand side in front of it, and a non EC row on the right hand side just behind it.

75X: There are 26 EC seats - 4 standard rows plus the 2 seat near the 2R door.
    Feedback from FT - the 75Xs are now GREAT in front of the overwing exits. Very roomy. From what it seems, Delta took a row of seats out of the plane in front of the overwing exits, and added that row to behind the overwing exits.

753: Rows 14-18. NOTE: The legroom for 16DEF is restricted and not recommended.

763's- Domestic
    Seats: Row 10-13.
    Row 10 has a hard bulkhead in front of it, but the legroom is still decent. This row has an immoveable armrest and the tray table is in the armrest as well.

Flying to Hawaii in EC:-
    From DL's EC page: 3-4" (7-10 cm) extra legroom/ Up to 50% more recline on select routes (JFK to/from SFO or LAX, and ATL to/from HNL). However, I believe that not all of the a/c used on the routes have additional recline - it is a/c dependent and alcoholic drinks are not complimentary.
    - Cost appears to be up to $99 for EC to/from Hawaii.

Costs:
    The cost of EC seats varies based on the length of the flight.

Costs for Medallion members:
    International: Diamond/Platinum Medallion/Flying Blue Platinum - Free
    Gold Medallion/Flying Blue Gold/SkyTeam Elite Plus/AS MVPG - 50% off
    Silver Medallion/Flying Blue Silver/SkyTeam Elite - 25% off

Transcon/Domestic: Diamond/Platinum/Gold Medallion/Flying Blue Platinum & Gold/SkyTeam Elite Plus - Free
    Silver Medallion/SkyTeam Elite - 50% off

Passengers traveling on Y/B/M fares can also book EC seats for free.

Experiences with ONE WAY costs:
    $9-$99 per segment were reported as the domestic EC cost.
    $40-$180 per segment were reported as the international EC cost.

LINK to ongoing spreadsheet related to reported EC costs.

Economy Comfort Companions:
    There has been a bit of discussion on whether or not companions on a different PNR can be seated with a DM/PM (international) or DM/PM/GM (domestic) in EC for free. The T&C specify that companions must be on the same PNR.

However, in practice, DL appears to be honoring an EC seat assignment for one companion. There are several points of discussion on the FlyerTalk thread.

EC Terms and Conditions:
    Please reference Post #39

Extensive discussion regarding EC on FT: LINK

jrp2, rookie10, deltagoldLass and 7 others like this.
  2. bennos

bennos Silver Member

Status Points:
    75Es (ex-TWA, "version 1") have AVOD at each seat. 75As (ex-NW, "version 2") have overhead in coach.

rwoman likes this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

4. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    More like unlimited for 11 C/G

rwoman likes this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Updated based on feedback here and on FT. :)

6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    While not as extensive as the FT discussion, I've updated this to give folks a basic perspective on DL's EC product.

Stils and autolycus like this.
  7. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this info. It was much appreciated when I was picking seats. Made the difference between me picking the bulkhead or not--I didn't because I'll be flying on a 764, and I don't want the narrower, no lifting armrest seats if I don't get a truckload of leg room. :)

rwoman likes this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Pics of EC versus Economy:

EC - 15E:
    [​IMG]

EC - 18F:
    [​IMG]

Economy - 24F:
    [​IMG]

cennas and autolycus like this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    And one more pic from 18F yesterday. This is with 17F fully reclined.

[​IMG]

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I've updated this thread.
    :)

traveller99 likes this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should be noted that Alaska MVPG and 75K members can grab EC seats at booking since they map to DM and PM, respectively, on Delta. No info on whether MVP gets the 50% off Silvers do, but I'd think so.

rwoman likes this.
  12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Mike!

13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've updated the cost section, but dl.com's EC page makes no mention of beneifts for 75k members...looking at the chart, MVPG/75k does not translate to DM/PM...

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops. That should say GM / PM. MVPG = GM, 75K = PM. I can provide screenshots from bookings I have to back that up if needed.

15. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pictures are very helpful. I don't think EC seat 15E is not a great seat, because of the bulkhead. I have flown on both 767-300 & 767-400 in EC. Seats 16E and 17F.

16. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I was in 35F, the first row behind EC on the 77L this past Friday from DXB to ATL as I did not want a middle EC seat for a ticket booked Thursday night. The space was pretty food despite the extra recline for row 34.

17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello...just off of mt ATL-DXB flight...31F on the 777 is a good seat and I had no issue with carts bumping by.

18. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the comment on row 15. Seat Guru shows it as good seat but there is not cut out in the bulk head to stretch legs so it ends up being fairly cramped.

19. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:

rwoman likes this.
  20. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! :)

21. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

Domestic Economy Comfort rolls out June 7, 2012

Delta Press Release - LINK

jparker likes this.
  22. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    All,

Hello - there have been reports on FT that seats that were selected in the front of the Y cabin before the domestic EC rollout announcement have been moved regardless of status.

Be sure to check your seats!!

23. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Updated domestic 763, MD88, and MD90 information.

24. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't booted out of 4C on an upcoming A320 flight, so it appears to be more DL randomness.

USAF_Pride and rwoman like this.
  25. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    My family was jacked around on a award ticket coming up. Took a call to get it all fixed.

rwoman likes this.