Family friendly hotels near Moscone?

Discussion in 'California' started by viguera, Dec 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anybody have any recommendations? I generally have short stays for a day or two and the IC right next to Moscone works just fine for me, but I have a week-long stay coming up in a couple of months and I'm looking for something more family friendly, as I'll be bringing the toddler and it would be nice to be somewhere with a nice pool and bigger rooms.

If distance was no object I'd even consider Half Moon Bay, but it would be really, REALLY helpful to be within a few minutes of the convention center, as the trip is work related.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd start with a BART map and look for hotels near stations that don't require connections to get near Moscone if you can't find a suitable hotel in the neighborhood. Unfortunately many major SF hotels don't have pools.

Half Moon Bay would be nice but a long drive in rush hour traffic.

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I lucked out with the last few conferences where I did Vdara and the Hilton Orlando. Vdara is not terribly family friendly, but it's one of the better options considering what's available in Vegas. The Hilton Orlando was actually very nice as a family hotel/resort, so it was well worth staying a few extra days there after work was done.

I might just bite the bullet and do the IC because it's literally next door, then spend a few extra days in town somewhere else.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a few extra days in the Bay Area, how about Monterey? The acquarium is great, there's a big pier with casual food places, a small historic building district, etc.

viguera likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks... that seems like the current plan. I called today and found out the hotel actually does have a special rate for the conference dates, even though it's not listed on the ServiceNow website.

The rate drops from $425 to $280 a night, which is ridiculous... the fact that it's not listed gives me hope for an upgrade, although I'm not holding my breath since it's still months away.

I'll probably consider Monterrey for a couple of days to get out of downtown and decompress after it's all done.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nevermind that... the IC SFO is saying that because it's a "deeply discounted rate" that I wouldn't earn any points or night credit for the stay...

I don't know whose idea that was, but I'm certainly not staying there for a week to not earn a single point or night towards status.

I might just have to give the Kimpton guys a try this time around and see what their hotels in SFO look like. :)

7. erikaem86

erikaem86 New Member

Status Points:
    It's tough to find really family-friendly hotels in downtown SF. I was there in summer of 2013 and stayed at Hotel Nikko. They do have a swimming pool, but not much else in terms of family-friendliness.

Another good hotel is the Marriott Marquis. No pool, but very large rooms.