Fall 2013 Megabonus - Stay twice, receive free night cat 1-5

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Sweet Willie, Nov 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see that this fall's megabonus is good for a free night cat 1-5 (instead of the longtime T&C of cat 1-4)

Is this really a good thing like I think it might be or do the category shuffles really make cat 5 insignificant. I understand the view is different amongst all of us MPers but I'd like opinions from those familiar with the program.

Personal info: I'm done with my IHG Big Win promo and seeing as I have some stays coming up, this current megabonus promo seems like the best ROI for my personal travel dime, especially tied in with other targeted offers for bonus points from Marriot I've received recently. I don't really care about upgrades as I don't spend time in the room except to sleep & shower.

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My next stay will earn me a free night when otherwise I'd get nothing, so I'm glad Marriott is offering the bonus program. :)

Sweet Willie and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie brings up an excellent point. All travelers want a clean, safe room, with a few perks added to make your hotel stay more enjoyable. But, the bottom line - unless you're working out of your hotel - is that you're not going to spend a whole lot of time in that room other than what's needed to get you going on to your day!

I'm with Willie on this one. Someone else can pay extra/use their points to upgrade from the standard room to the presidential suite, I'll pass!

Newscience

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I like about it is the consistency of megabonus promotions. Marriott seems to have them several times a year. With Gold or higher status I never have problems even when I use the earned free later to get breakfast, lounge access and room upgrade. Compared to IHG when you use your award nights there are often no benefits, like upgrade/ABF. Another fact I like about the Marriott one is that they seem to have one over Christmas and new year. Most of the other programs stop Dec. 15th and then they take a break for a month or longer. During that time I always move most of my stays to Marriott.

stedger2, Newscience and Sweet Willie like this.
  5. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie - JW Marriott in Bangkok is a cat 5. That's where wife and I are booked using the certs unless someone says GHE is better.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

icurhere2 and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a newbie for the most part to Marriott, I participated in this, and am using that cert for a downtown hotel in SEA for a getaway...it definitely made up for the work to do it, seeing as a business conference with me switching hotels once paid for a night's stay later on at a nicer property.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know offhand if Marriott eBreaks rate nights count?

8. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure, not 100% sure, that they count.

9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also stayed in SEA, my second stay under the promo. The bonus night was just posted to my account (2 days after check out).

10. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Marriott's new Solar Spring 2014 Megabonus sux in that the free nights are once again valid for max. Cat. 4 :( . Boo hiss!

11. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Cat 4 restriction must definitely be variable, as my Spring Megabonus allows Cat 1-5 (still can only earn two nights).

12. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    For some its even worse as not every account shows a Spring 2014 Megabonus and the URL brings up an error.

13. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guys I just went to the Marriott Website is the Promo something you have to sign up for? I cannot find it on my home page at Marriott.

Thanks

gregm likes this.
  14. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look under "promotions". Its the next tab under "Account Activity".

My previous Megabonuses have earned both points and free nights. (Not together!)

15. ZCT

ZCT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are these MegaBonus giveaways always about getting a free night cert? Another frequent traveller told me they got offered a points bonus instead. I'd rather save my points and stay in a higher category of hotel than a 4 or 5. Anyone know if it's possible to choose an alternative MegaBonus?