fall '12 honeymoon help - city & beach f/c class

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Pnut4912, Jan 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Pnut4912

Pnut4912 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi there, yet another honeymoon help thread. Here are the details and would LOVE some expert travelers input. I'm out of Chicago as base.

1. Short attention span so looking for some good balance between activities/urban and loungy beach time.
    2. The Activities part can include anything really - good food scene, Eco-activities, water sports, etc. pretty much anything except museums.
    3. I have united miles, enough to get anywhere on award in first or business.
    4. We're good with splitting time between locations. I.e. spending 5 days in city then picking up and spending 7 days on beach. Another flight is fine to get there.
    5. Like many of you the transit is part of the fun for me. I'm looking to try first/business on the best carriers I haven't been able to. Thinking Lufthansa, Thai, Singapore off the top of my head. Even started playing with routes to get on lh or sq A380.
    6. Front runners right now are Thailand or french polynesia. South africa, maldives, Seychelles were tossed around too. To accommodate #5 were willing to Go the long way and connect in Europe. South america coul be done and connect someplace after. As you can probably tell, Domestic US is out, we want far. We travel extensively and want someplace we have never been. This means the following are out: australia, new Zealand, Fiji, Japan, Korea, taiwan, and most of Europe
    7. For hotel, Would be using combo of Amex membership points and either Starwood or Hilton points. I have good bank in either but would supplement with CC signip as needed.
    8. Looking for fall 2012 trip. Sept, oct preferred.

Thanks in advance and look forward to feedback!

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bali? SQ and surely TG fly there. SPG has a very new W and a new St Regis and a LC property. You could easily combine this with Singapore as the city location.

Another idea would be Turkey or Greece. Visit Istanbul and a beach resort like Bodrum or Athens and a Greek Island. Is this too Europe for you?

Hong Kong is a fascinating city and CX serves many southeast Asia beach resort locations or you could use SQ or TG easily from HKG.

deant and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, Pnut4912!

I second Bali: the people are one of the friendliest and most genuine in the world, the SPG resorts are nice, the prices are reasonable, and if you ever get tired of lounging on the beach, you can head out inland and find a completely different landscape (mountains, lakes, jungles).

Both Singapore and Thai fly there so you can get there in comfort and combine it with Singapore or Bangkok as your city destination.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand using miles for air awards, do NOT let hotel programs limit your choices on where to go for your honeymoon. If they can offset a portion of your trip (like the urban portion) great, but don't limit yourself for the beach vacation.

tommy777 and Jimgotkp like this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not like you're going to be outside of the hotel room much after all :p

cennas likes this.
  6. Pnut4912

Pnut4912 Active Member

Status Points:
    Any other ideas ?

7. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH in first (A380) to Joburg, connect up to a lodge in the Sabi Sand reserve for two or three nights, then down to Cape Town for eco-touring, vineyard-hopping, shark cages, great food, gorgeous beaches, penguins and night life.

deant likes this.
  8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree with the Greek or Turkish islands. Istanbul is very unique. Santorini is fantastic.