Fake the computer out?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by jakem4800, Jan 8, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was considering booking 2 award tickets on the same reservation. Once upgrades have cleared (trip span has to be 6 days or less to be In that 7 day window for CP) I was thinking of canceling mine and keeping the other active. What do you think the outcome could be?

daninstl likes this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Is the intention to give one other person an upgraded flight while you don't fly? Otherwise, I don't understand the plan.

daninstl likes this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've read tales of people getting booted out of programs and losing miles and status for shenanigans like this (monkeying around with airline inventory to give people upgrades). Sounds like a very expensive upgrade.

blackjack-21, Max M, daninstl and 4 others like this.
  4. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup that would be the intention to upgrade someone else and not fly. Hmmm well sounds like I should not attempt it!

5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't play with that fire. It might work out for you but it doesn't sound like it's worth the gamble to me if you have many miles at risk in the program.

blackjack-21, Max M and Newscience like this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isnt it great that most us never even consider gaming the system so as to benefit our friends. :)

blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Many of us have ways of giving friends (or even strangers) upgrades that don't risk getting our accounts shut down. ;)

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Presumably or more to the point hopefully by means that involve working within the rules of the program and showing some consideration of others ( other than your friends and associates )
    The scheme above not only is obviously against the rule of the airlines FF program it quite selfishly ties up two upgrades (instruments that there is not an abundance of).

Sadly I somehow I get the impression that there are people here who think its OK if they could get away with it with the only deterrent being that they have their FF account penalized by the airline in question.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  9. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Besides the moral implications as others have mentioned [as well as possible ramifications from the airline], you're taking a gamble.

There's no guarantee that award inventory will be returned, and to assume that automatically upgrade inventory to appear is foolish. Traditional award seats and upgrade awards come from completely different fare classes/buckets.

Sure it could happen, but if this is your bet, be prepared for the outcome if upgrade inventory never comes.

While I've not done what you've did/are planning, I've had award inventory completely vanish after I forgot that an award hold expired. I frantically called, to try and salvage the award, and was told that award inventory can vanish back into revenue fare buckets any time. [obviously this doesn't applied to already ticked reservations]

10. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Pretty much true in all avenues of life, not limited to FF boards.

And I quite mean the "hey, you could give something". US accepts upgrades with miles+cash copay...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015