Fairmont Visa: worth putting spend on it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by traveltoomuch, Feb 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the Fairmont Visa for the signup bonus and a desire for the status/perks for some Fairmont stays I already had planned, but I didn't put any spending on it beyond the required minimum.

I am now considering trying to direct $12k/year there to get the free night at any Fairmont. Normally that spend might go on Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Everyday, or a 2% cash back card.

Thoughts? Is anyone else deliberately directing spend to this card?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    Kalboz, satman40 and uggboy like this.
  2. Tweedy

Tweedy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too have been having this debate. I decided to put the $12000 on for this year. I converted my fairmont points into a $100 fairmont gift certificate.. That along with the one free night and breakfast certs I figured it was worth the annual fee. I used my first two for nights at the Fairmont Maui. I loved the property. I'm going back to the big island next October. Im thinking my husband should get the card and then we can spend three nights at the Fairmont orchid.

Kalboz, satman40, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I often apply for the same card to secure double points, and the free nights,

One has to be careful and not get too many different hotel cards, same as airline cards....other wise the nights gets waisted...

Kalboz likes this.
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bump. Anyone else have thoughts re: keeping this card and/or putting spend on it?