Fairmont Scottsdale Princess

Discussion in 'Fairmont | President's Club' started by quank, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Stayed here family day (or presidents' day) weekend 2011 with my wife. 2 night stay using 2 Plat Free Night certs. Overall very enjoyable stay - here is the detailed review...

Service: 4/5
    • Overall service was just okay but service at the spa was top-notch and increased my overall rating.
    • There was a short line at check-in and despite having a FPC desk, it seemed like they were just taking people on a first-come, first-served basis. Room was ready at 130pm and they had us in a Casita king suite (used a Plat Suite Upgrade cert). Overall, it was a reasonable amount of time for check-in.
    • Room was tidy although no sign of Platinum amenity or Fairmont Fit. When we left for the afternoon, I told the front desk that the stuff was missing and also requested that they drop-off Fairmont Fit for my wife as well. Everything was in the room waiting for us when we returned later that evening. Thought the amenity was very creative and fun use of fruit, fondant, jelly beans and brown sugar (see attached picture).
    • Spa service was courteous, attentive, and was what I needed/wanted
    • The self-parking garage was full one evening and they valet'd my car for the self-park rate. As an aside, the Casitas are at one end of the property which makes using the valet very inconvenient since you have a long walk back to/from the lobby (where the valet is).
    Rooms: 4/5
    • The Casita king suite is very spacious - there is a living area, fireplace, king bed, etc. The washroom is very large with double sink, tub and shower.
    • I liked how these suites were tucked away at one end of the resort and had a nearby pool.
    • However, nothing terribly memorable about the room.
    Restaurants: N/a
    • Only had breakfast one morning which was satisfactory but didn't try La Hacienda (which is supposed to have excellent Mexican) or return to Bourbon Steak (Michael Mina restaurant which I enjoyed during my last trip).
    Spa/Amenities: 5/5
    • Awesome even based on what I used and there's a lot of other things I didn't use.
    • Great Willow Stream Spa - Enjoyed the private outdoor pool and heated waterfall, went for a soak in both the hot and cold jacuzzi, and used the steam room. Did not try the dry sauna or the aromatherapy meditation room. Really liked the selection of teas available to spa guests.
    • Multiple pools throughout the property (near lobby, east pool with water slides, more private pool in the casitas area and one inside the spa).
    • Short (complimentary) shuttle to the two TPC courses that are nearby.
    • Highly dependant on where you're spending your time but you'll need a car.
    • We mostly spent time in the Scottsdale area so it's within a 15min drive to most Scottsdale things to do (Old Town, Fashion Square Mall, Scottsdale golf courses, etc).
    • About a 30min drive to the airport which is pretty close to downtown Phoenix (e.g., where the sports stadiums are).
    Kalboz, uggboy and gleff like this.
  2. Looking for advice - realized that I was overcharged for spa services on my recent stay. That is, they didn't take the 10% off I was entitled to as a platinum FPC member. I contacted the hotel and received the following message:

Mr. quank,

I just received your feedback from your most recent stay with us here at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess. I am so very sorry that our service fell short of the five diamond service excellence that we hold ourselves to each and everyday. The last thing I like to see is a guest who is unsatisfied.

As your resort ambassador I want to ensure that you are comfortable and have everything that you need you next visit. Please if there is anything you need, never hesitate to call me or email. I hope we get the chance to see you in the future. Thank you for your feedback and if there is anything we can approve upon further please keep me abreast.

Warm regards,

I don't think this was an inappropriate response to my note about being overcharged. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and responded by clearly explaining what I believed they did wrong (overcharged me since didn't give me the discount) and clearly requested what I thought was appropriate action for them to take (to refund the money). Now I sent this 3 business days ago and have received no response. Looking for advice on what I should do - wait? escalate and, if so, to who(m)? other? Alternatively, am I going about this the wrong way or am I in the wrong?
    Kalboz likes this.
  3. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

I´ll give the same advice as elsewhere.;)

The few times I´ve been overcharged and didn´t notice before leaving the hotel i just sent an e-mail to the hotel´s general e-mail address with "billing error" in the title and briefly explaining what the error was and asking for a refund. The e-mail was always forwarded and I always received a response within 24h by e-mail from the accounting department (note that the accounting department likely is closed on weekends). I always tried to present it as a "system/IT error" and not accuse anyone ("there seems to be an error in the bill" vs. "you overcharged me"), and in each case the charges were removed without any discussion.

I´d recommend waiting for the response of your second e-mail, if you don´t get a satisfactory response within 10 days I´d send the GM of the hotel an e-mail, most GMs read all messages themselves, but will often forward the message to the appropiate department with his notes/thoughts.
    Kalboz likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Any photos of the room? Tempted to use a suite upgrade here... Thanks! :)
    Kalboz likes this.
  5. The Casita suites are a spacious room with a very large bathroom. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures this trip. Only thing to be aware of is that these suites tend to be really far from the lobby. Self-parking in the lot near the suites will help minimizing walking back/forth from your room to the valet. However, if you plan to spend most of your time in the main pool or lobby area, you'll be doing a lot of walking for the Casita suites.
    Kalboz likes this.
  6. Anyone have experience with the Gold suites at the Princess? Curious how nice the rooms and lounge are?
    Kalboz likes this.
  7. jim5518

jim5518 Silver Member

Booked a regular room last fall and was given an upgrade to a Jr Gold Suite. The room was larger than normal. The lounge was nice and they had a good selection of desserts etc. If you are in the gold area it also gives you access to Willow spa .
    Kalboz likes this.
  8. We just returned from 9 nights here. We stayed in a Jr. Gold Suite for 4 nights and then moved to a Master Suite, which is a Jr. Suite attached to very large parlor type room, with couches, chairs, a small dining table, bar and an extra 3/4 bath. The parlor room is about the size of two jr. Suites. They only have 3 of these suites so they are usually booked. If you have the means I highly recommend it. Request room 6216 as it is the only one that is ground floor. The others are on the 2nd floor and stairs are the only access. No elevator.

Gold lounge is nice, but not as nice as others I've been to (i.e. Whislter). The food was just so so. Staff was excellent.

Restaurants on property were mixed. The Bistro and room service were ho hum. They need more fresh seasonal options in my opinion. La Hacienda (mexican) was really quite good and exceeded my expectations. A nice mix of authentic and modern, with fresh ingredients and good service. Bourbon Steak, the Michael Mina steak joint was a dissapointment. The somellier was pompous and turned out he didn't know the wines as he had represented. The Filet I ordered was mediocre at best. It lacked flavor and was rather dry. Vegetable side dishes had no character. However, I do recommend the fries. Great flavor (fried in duck fat) and they have interesting dipping sauces. Overpriced for what it is.

Spa - Excellent. At $35/day I wouldn't have gone, but it was included with Gold club. I'd go back and pay next time if I had time to really enjoy the spa. The waterfall tub is a massage in itself.

The grounds are really spread out on this hotel, which at first was a bit of pain. The layout is also confusing so it's difficult to find your way around. However, part way through our stay we decided to check out a few other resorts in the area for a future visit, and I will just say that being spreadout has distinct advantages. I much prefered the Fairmont to The hyatt, which felt too compact and with far too many people trying to occupy the same pool and grounds. We also toured the 4 seasons, Sanctuary, Interncontinental, and Biltmore. We concluded that the Fairmont is the best place for families with young kids. Lots for them to do and if the kids are under 5, they eat for free at all restaurants (but no room service). For adults, the 4 seasons or sanctuary would be great, but not as many kid options.
    Kalboz likes this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Is offered on the OC Groupon as follows:

• For $199, a one-night stay for two in a Deluxe room
    • Or, for $229, a one-night stay for two in a Casita Signature room, self-parking fees, and Internet access
    • Or, for $269, a one-night stay for two in a Casita suite, self-parking fees, and Internet access
    Included in all options:
    • Access to spa or kids’ club
    • $50 food and beverage credit
    Casita suite photo by Corey Taratuta
    uggboy likes this.