Fairmont San Francisco

Discussion in 'Fairmont | President's Club' started by Jasper2009, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Fairmont San Francisco is my favourite property in the US (though I haven´t visited all yet;)) and I´ve stayed there a couple of times.

IMG_2085.JPG

The hotel is located on Nob Hill and consists of the historical main building (seven floors accessable to the public, the 8th floor features the famous 6000sq.ft. Penthouse Suite) and the "new" tower added to the hotel (about 20 floors)

While the main building was renovated a few years ago, most rooms are nothing special IMO (decent furniture, flat screen TV, very small bathrooms with bath/shower combo). The rooms in the tower are more modern (separate bathtub and walk-in shower), have excellent views and have a more exclusive feel as each floor only has a dozen rooms.

During my last visit I stayed in a Main Building Balcony Suite:

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

The pretty spacious suite (about 650sq.ft) consists of a living room (sofa, two armchairs, flat screen TV, desk), bedroom (king bed, TV) and a small bathroom (likely the smallest bathroom I´ve seen at a Fairmont hotel.)

The suite itself is nice, but nothing spectacular IMO, what makes this suite special is the fantastic balcony (accessable from both the living room and the bedroom) which offers some very impressive views of the San Francisco skyline:

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2096.JPG

Service at this hotel is excellent IMO. The location couldn´t be better for exploring the city: cable cars stop on the street behind the hotel, China town is about two blocks away and Union square is about five blocks down the hill; a taxi to pretty much any place within the city will be less than $10.

I didn´t try all the restaurants at this hotel, from my limited experience I can say:
    Breakfast at the Laurel Court is pretty good, but a little pricey (price is about $40 incl. gratuity and taxes)
    If you´re after a lighter breakfast, some good coffee or a nice snack during the day I can highly recommend Caffé Cento (a bit like a more upscale Starbucks) which is located on the lower ground floor.

Overall a fantastic property I can definitely recommend!

MillionMile likes this.
  2. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Again, I like this property as well. I do not have the same room types as you[​IMG]

Cable cars are an interesting novelty

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    This is just an excellent, classic hotel and I will always love it perhaps far more than the quality of the property warrants. It's certainly been surpassed in terms of luxury in the city. But it remains an icon and institution. Ten years ago I met the late Milton Friedman here, he lived just down the street.

piqaro likes this.
  4. This was my dad's favorite hotel in SF and he was taught by Milton Friedman :)

5. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, while I´m reasonably familiar with Friedman and his theories, I would have never been able to identify him if he had sat next to me.

6. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been to any Fairmont recently, nor this one. But it's is already my favorite for the year of 2011, maybe my favorite across all brands if you know what i mean:)

7. qbrain
    Original Member

qbrain Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a great day for your photos Jasper2009.

I like the main building rooms as they have a lot of character. As for bathroom size in the basic rooms, The SF's bathroom was comparable to or bigger than Miramar, Hotel Vancouver and Singapore. Maybe the Penthouse in Singapore ruined you.

8. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it was just the bathroom in my suite: I swear it was no more than 40-50sq.ft., basically a bathtub (with shower), one small sink right next to the tub, and the toilet exactly between the sink and the wall, no real issue, but definitely stuck out as the smallest bathroom I´ve seen at a Fairmont (and I´ve seen the bathrooms at many of the old Fairmonts like Hotel Macdonald, Palliser, Vancouver, Empress etc.)

And, yes the weather was excellent during my stay! Really enjoyed having a glass of Californian wine on the balcony while the sun was going down. :)

tcook052 likes this.
  9. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoyed my stay at the hotel on my way down under on the UA C misprice to AKL a few years back, though my room was nowhere near the size op OP's. Still would go back in a skipped heartbeat however as I really enoyed the city and the hotel.

10. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    i'm thinking about booking a suite on my own to extend my 1 night stand with the prez suite. Should i go with the balcony suite shown here, or the tower suite as tower is newer?

11. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on your preferences... Basically both suites are two standard rooms connected with each other. The Tower Suite obviously is newer, has a larger/nicer bathroom (walk-in shower etc.), and has better views of the bay/Alcatraz on a sunny day.

Main Building Balcony Suites are slightly larger, have been renovated a few years ago, but are still pretty "old-style", bathroon has a shower/tub combo, and, of course, have a fantastic, large balcony.

I personally prefer the Balcony Suite, but both suites are quite nice.

12. MillionMile
    Original Member

MillionMile Active Member

Status Points:
    San Francisco has always been my favorite US City. The cable cars, Fisherman wharf, China Town, Trips to Wine Country. The city just seems to have it all plus the Fairmont.

I would humbly like to add a few pictures to Jasper 2009's great pictures. My pictures are from the Penthouse from my recent stay. The Suite is 6,000 square feet

( sorry the pictures are not that clear, I only had my blackberry for taking pictures and it was night time plus a lot did not turn out at all, like pictures of the Library and Living Room)

View from the outside Patio see in the movie "The Rock"

saf10.jpg

Master Bedroom

SAF1.jpg

SAF2.jpg

The Guest Bedroom

SAF3.jpg

Guest Bathroom
    SAF4.jpg
    Entrance Hallway

SAF5.jpg

The Pool Room

SAF6.jpg

Piano in Living Room

SAF7.jpg

Dinning Room

saf8.jpg

SAF11.jpg

To echo Jasper 2009, Fairmont Nob Hill is a fantastic property that I too can definitely recommend!

Bluto and Jasper2009 like this.
  13. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great photos - thank´s for posting!

The Penthouse Suite is one of those suites one may dream about every now and then, who knows, but I don´t think I´ll be able to stay there in the near future.

Btw, the website states that the dining room seats 30 people, the table on the photo only seems to seat 12 people? Is there another dining room?

14. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the Library a circular/oval room? If so, then I think that the Suite was once the residence of Benjamin Swig, the former owner of the hotel,

My favorite memories of the Fairmont are of a number of banquets and dinners I attended there. The most memorable was in the Gold Room in 1980, after the opening of the San Fransico Opera, when my date and I got seated right next to Placido Domingo and Shirley Verrett (Samson et Dalila) [​IMG]

Amazing to think that, after the structure was gutted in the 1906 fires, the owners came very close to razing the building and building apartments instead:

[​IMG]

vangrizz likes this.
  15. MillionMile
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No that's the only dining room and I can't see 30 in that room, at least not comfortably.

The living room is massive and could be set-up for a dinner of around 50+ I guess if they moved some of the furniture to the side. It's over 40 feet long. The flash on the blackberry could not fill the room with enough light for the picture to turn out. The library is oval with books on the walls and has an 18 foot ceiling that could be set-up for 12.

The outside patio is very large and could have about 4 round tables of 8 easily. Maybe that is where they can server 30

I think they allow up to 100 or so in the suite at one time as a reception/buffet type of an event.

The suite has a staff area at the end for preparing all the food for such an event.

Hope you get to see it some time. Maybe the next time you are there you should ask for a tour if it's not occupied.

16. MillionMile
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes the Library is oval. That's a very interesting fact about the owner living there. The pictures down the hallway from the Gold Room showing all the destruction of the quake are amazing. plus all the famous people who have visited or stayed at the hotel. I understand that President Kennedy stayed a lot in that suite had on occasion visits from a certain blond movie star.

But that is only rumor...