Fairmont Hotel MacDonald

Discussion in 'Fairmont | President's Club' started by Ancien Maestro, Apr 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Ancien Maestro

Ancien Maestro Active Member

Status Points:
    I searched for a Hotel MacDonald thread and there were none. Only GRGD references
    We checked in for 4 nights last night into Hotel MacDonald and was greeted warmly with keys ready when luggage unloaded by bell staff. We valeted the vehicle. Valet nowadays is $39 per night. We chose packages that included our valet parking.

Amenity was 4 pieces of chocolate with a personalized letter from the GM welcoming us back, acknowledging both my wife and I.

The reason for this post was the excellent personalized service we received by the hotel. We needed some clothes washed because my 4 year old peed his pants, and the housekeeping staff washed his peed up clothes inhouse, even though the dry cleaning is shutdown because of the Good Friday Holiday.

We returned to the hotel to find a tray of neatly folded clothes waiting on the seat stool when we entered into the room, accompanied by a personalized note by housekeeping thanking us for our patronage. There was even a bag of easter bunny treats in the tray of clothes.

In addition, the Hotel MacDonald staff dropped off a cookies and milk amenities for my kids to enjoy.

The Confed lounge was excellent and a surprise. Upon checkin we received 20% off coupons, and since we booked the Alberta Value Package (Albertan residences only), we need to spend $30 each night prior to midnite, so we stopped into the confed lounge for a late night snack. The staff took our orders immediately. The kids food was a bit late, and the manager personally apologized and comped the kids meal.

I want to mention to everyone, there is currently a General Manager's special that includes room, breakfast buffet for 2, 3 course dinner for 2, and valet parking for an excellent rate. We've booked this rate on our last night of 4 nights, and will enjoy a special Easter Supper in the Harvest Room.

Also, out of the blue, a manager I never met tonite greeted myself by name, and let us know about the Easter festivities for the kids. An Easter Egg hunt is happening on Sunday morning, and aparently there is full weekend itinerary.

For those interested, Easter Sunday Brunch is $79 per adults, kids 6 to 12 are half price. The Empire Ball room is sold out, but the secondary room may still have reservations. Again we are opting for the General Manager's Special Easter Supper in the Harvest Room. We were offered Sunday morning breakfast buffet, although this is an exception as breakfast buffet on the GM special must occur on the following morning when package occurs.

gregm and uggboy like this.
  2. Ancien Maestro

Ancien Maestro Active Member

Status Points:
    Happy Easter Sunday from Hotel MacDonald.

We woke up to a basket of easter treats and candy hanging on our door this morning. The staff was gracious to provide treats for the kids.

There is an Easter Egg Hunt for the children today at 11:30 AM and 1:30 AM today for anyone who is in the area and want to join in the Easter festivities.

There are two squash courts onsite for any enthusiasts, so bring your racquets. Fairmont Fit is available if entered onto your profile or upon request for Premier and Platinum members. Other members may request Fairmont Fit as well for a fee. Around $10 charge. This includes an exercise outfit consisting of shorts, shirt and shoes. Socks also available upon request.

Fairmont Hotel MacDonald fitness room also has lockers. Locks available upon request. Fitness area, pool, steam room and hot rock room are available upon request.

The hotel is not busy at all during the Easter Weekend. I noticed that if you book a multiple night reservation, the rate is higher than single night reservations. Perhaps with this long weekend, most customers inquiring rates are met with the expensive rate. I made the reservation a week prior with wide availability, and found out after when reserving on the Fairmont system, that single night rates were less expensive. So I rebooked the lower rates. The logarithms are unique, so I'm surprised I found out about the lower rates by entering different length stays into the system. As soon as a two night reservation is entered, the rates jump up quite a bit.

Its dissappointing to see the hotel so empty. The staff has been absolutely fantastic and very gracious. The entire environment has changed over the last couple of years. We feel attention to detail, and the historical build of the hotel makes this hotel the premier hotel to stay at in Edmonton. The beds are a fantastic sleep.

Of mention are kids robes upon request. Call Royal Service if you want Robes for your kids, or any other incidentals.

We are enjoying a suite with a River View over the holidays. Hopefully everyone is having a nice Easter Sunday.

3. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I gather that you got it included without extra charge, but charging or paying $79 for a meal contradicts the meaning of Easter!