Fairmont Chateau Frontenac- Quebec City

Discussion in 'Fairmont | President's Club' started by Andyandy, Nov 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Here are some thoughts on a recent stay at the Frontac.

The Good:
    I booked the stay through a Virtuoso agent. Booked a King room on the Gold floor. The rate was equal to the "best available rate". I paid for the room with a gift card (thank you Venture "Match My Miles"!). I received a Gold floor junior suite, Virtuoso dining credit of $100, breakfast in the restaurant, and 4PM checkout.

The room was on the 14th floor, right next to the elevators and down the hall from the Gold Lounge. Very quiet despite the location. Nice room, decorated in a "classic" style. Bathroom was small but functional. Minibar was adequately stocked, prices high as usual. Splendid view over the St. Lawrence and lower town.

The hotel itself is "the" place to stay in QC. Location, atmosphere, view... all were ideal. Maybe not so much during peak tourist season, but it was nice when we were there (early Nov.)

We ate at the Cafe de la Terasse both mornings. Good pastries, limited fruit selection. Standard american breakfast items. Good overall, but not outstanding.

Drinks in the bar were overpriced (surprise!) but service and atmosphere compensated.

Another note, the dining credit did apply to alcohol. I wasn't sure it would since Virtuoso and the CF identified it specifically as a "food credit".

The Bad:
    The Gold lounge was closed for the duration of our stay and I was given no notice beforehand. Very poor form. When we arrived, the bellman sent us up to the Gold floor to check-in. We arrived at the lounge and were turned away by a rather grim madame who told us the lounge was closed for a private function. We returned to the front desk and checked in at the President's club desk. A friendly agent seemed surprised that we weren't informed of the closure. Saying "you know it is usually closed this time of year." I told her I did not and that the website didn't indicate such. She said, "but [French name I've forgotten] called you to let you know, didn't he?" No he didn't.

In compensation, we were given a $25 dining credit, per person, per day. We were also told that we could take anything non-alcoholic from the minibar at no charge. This was a barely adequate compensation, as we had looked forward to enjoying the Lounge during our stay.

uggboy and NYBanker like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is pretty sloppy re the lounge.

Andyandy and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was surprised that the lounge was closed in the first place and that you were not informed about it, also some attitude from the employees let's the shine a bit off this hotel. Icon or not!;)

4. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be there next july, I'm the worst client ever, let's see how they handle me and my family, LOL!!!

5. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, here's an update. I finally heard back from Fairmont. My booking was through Virtuoso, and Fairmont told me that they contacted my agent about the closure. I contacted my agent, and now she won't return my e-mails, so I think I believe them. FWIW, Fairmont offered me a upgrade on my next booking.

Andyandy

6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm here now. Great hotel, typical decor of the Fairmont Chateau styles. I had a junior suite booked, and was 'upgraded' to the gold floor. The lounge is still closed in March, they mentioned its always closed for the 'season'. So it looks like the season extends from November to at least March.

As I hadn't paid for the gold floor, I have nothing to complain about. And since its located on the upper floors there's a much nicer view of the river. They are still replacing the roof, so your views are through scaffolding on the top floors.