Fair or not? Easter island - double standard

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by nldogbert, Mar 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. nldogbert

nldogbert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    Recently I was trying to book an award ticket between Santiago to Easter Island, space was available on the dates I wanted in J. However I was surprised that for award, Easter Island is considered to be in the Pacific but for earning purposes, this is considered within Chile.
    Why the double standard?

I find it rather "sneaky" of AA to have such categorization because this increases the number of miles needed by 2x. Furthermore, (maybe I missed it), but no where on their OneWorld award table is stated that Easter Island is considered in the South Pacific.

Any insight into this?

Cheers!

ps: however BA does considere Easter Island as part of Chile, but weirdly no availability even though AA has the availability. (understand different airlines get different availability - but this is for a booking in Jan2014!)

GoodBoy, MX and jbcarioca like this.
  2. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding your post scriptum, it may simply be too early with BA to see any availability.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Besides BA has been having trouble seeing LAN inventory going well on a year now.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Easter Island actually is in the South Pacific category. It's the 2nd location listed.

Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 1.59.27 PM.png

And I'm rather confused on what you mean by "for earning purposes"? You earn EQM and RDM based on the distance traveled, the geographic categorization of the airport's location has nothing to do with how you earn.

5. nldogbert

nldogbert Silver Member

Status Points:
    David, thanks for pointing that out, if you click on the definition of South Pacific, you do see Easter Island as listed. In general, I do think this is so unclear because who would think that Easter Island would be categorized as something separate from Chile (since the Galapagos is not separately categorized outside of Ecuador).
    As for the earning part, the following is what is written on the earning for LAN:
    "LAN considers Easter Island (IPC) to be part of Chile for the purpose of earning miles. Therefore, mileage accrual for Economy Class travel to/from Easter Island (IPC) will be calculated according to the chart above as follows:
    • Travel between Santiago (SCL) and Easter Island (IPC) is considered "within Chile" "
    My suspect is because of the dominance of LAN on this route compared to Galapagos where there are competitions that flies that route.

Cheers!

DestinationDavid likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The same people who'd think that Hawaii would be categorized as something separate from the contiguous United States? ;)

MyTravels likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, for LAN coded flights you do earn miles within Chile at a different rate, so you do have a small point I suppose. Does it raise to the level of being upset about it? Meh, I don't think so.

8. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    The distance between the mainland and GPS is very different than the distance between the mainland and IPC (by a factor of 3+)

Ah, beat me to it, gcmap comes in handy to see a mileage comparison of LAX-OGG & SCL-IPC

From To Initial
    Heading Distance
    LAX (33°56'33"N 118°24'29"W) OGG (20°53'55"N 156°25'50"W) 258.8° (W) 2485 mi
    SCL (33°23'35"S 70°47'09"W) IPC (27°09'53"S 109°25'19"W) 270.1° (W) 2336 mi
    GYE (2°09'27"S 79°53'01"W) GPS (0°27'14"S 90°15'57"W) 279.1° (W) 727 mi

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.